Introduction

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
      Jehanne de Wodeford checking in from the West Kingdom. (Hi, Na'arah!)

      I'm probably best described as an alto with a good reach in either
      direction. Having won a bet by singing "Lonesome Valley" from the "O
      Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack in my "basement range," I know I
      bottom out on a D. If warmed up, I have a G up top, so I can pretty
      much go wherever I'm needed.

      I was the "stunt tenor" for my old choir back east, but right now I
      live too far to make it to practices with any of the groups here in
      the West, so I've been jonesing for some part singing.

      Looking forward to meeting folks at Estrella.

      Jehanne
    • maria daggett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
        Helle Jehanne
        As Co-ordinator of the KWC I want to welcome you to
        the list and tell you that you will have an AMAZING
        erperience singing at Estrella. The Conductor has
        chosen an enjoyable and challenging program. You will
        meet people from all over the Known World.
        Sing well, sing often!!

        Thanks for coming on board

        AErlandr Nordskald
        Co-ordinator Known World Choir
        Director Emeritas

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, maria daggett <erlannordenskald@y...>
          wrote:
          > The Conductor has chosen an enjoyable and challenging program.
          "Challenging" meaning the Landini? ;-> Looks like fun stuff and I even
          know some of these already.

          If I can get the blasted scores to download correctly. The only one
          that has printed out properly was "Springime Mantleth Every Bough."

          Doggone it, this is frustrating. ;-(

          Jehanne
        • Lorraine Herr
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 27, 2007
            Good evening, gentle cousins,

            Permit me to introduce myself. I am Lady Angela Rosa Dellamora of the
            Barony of Stromgard in the Kingdom of An Tir. For the last two years,
            I have performed as as a mezzo soprano with a local early music
            consort, Musica Draconis. We perform at both SCA and non SCA events and
            try to share as much joy through music as possible! In my mundane life,
            I have performed for over thirty years in a wide variety of venues.

            My household and I are delighted to discover that we will be able to
            attend Estrella this coming February, and are looking forward to the
            musical experiences at the event. Please do let me know if there is
            anything we can do to help in advance of the event. Looking forward
            to meeting many fellow musicians!

            In service,

            Angela
          • L Dinsmore
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
              So do we have a director for KWC for Estrella, and did I miss the sign up??

              Illuminada Eugenia de Guadalupe y Godoy
              Caid

            • Donald F. Harrington
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
                Luckily, you didn't miss the sign-up because you don't have to sign up in advance to participate.  You just have to show up at two of the rehearsals.  I've been working with the gate-book because last year some people had trouble finding the info about us.  (It was in there, but so was a lot of other stuff.)  The rehearsals (noon to two on Wed-Sat) and the performance (2:00 pm Sunday) are both listed in the A&S Collegium schedule.  The performance is listed again under special events.  And just to make more sure, I bought a quarter-page ad for the performance, including a reference to the rehearsals in the Collegium schedule.  The only other thing I can think of to do to boost advertising is to get some fliers printed up before the war and pay off some urchins to put them up everywhere they can find.  (Thanks to Amy Marie for helping me coordinate the advance publication schedule.)

                Everything except one rehearsal is at the Grand Pavilion, including the performance.  (Saturday rehearsal is being graciously hosted by Her Grace Deille of Farnham's encampment, which we also used last year.  Saturday, the Grand Pavilion is booked up.)

                I admit I'm behind schedule on picking out music and getting it posted to this Yahoo! group website and my own, so any suggestions that people may have I'd very much love to hear.

                Don Harrington
                Lazarus Artifex

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
                  Good morning, gentle cousins,

                  My Lord Lazarus, thank you for the very helpful information about participating --- showing up for rehearsal sounds like a reasonably simple thing to do.  Our household plans to arrive on Tuesday quite early (actually, will probably roll in from Portland late Monday night!), so we should be all set up by Tuesday afternoon.  Do let me know if there is anything you might need help with, in term setting up, sorting music, etc.  I would be more than happy to assist you.

                  And, if a Very new newcomer can make some suggestions for music:

                  Arcadelt        -- Il Bianco e Dolce Cigno
                  Certon          -- La, la, la, je ne l'ose dire
                  des Pres        -- El Grillo
                  di Lasso        -- Je L'ayme bien
                  El Viejo         -- Dindirin
                  Monserrat     -- Stella Splendens
                  Sermisy         -- Tant Que Vivrai
                  Vecchi           -- Deh Prega amor il fato

                  These are some wonderful bits, and Not Too Hard to learn in several days' time.  (And yes, I have Noteworthy scores in several keys to most of them!)

                  Looking forward to meeting everyone in 48 days!

                  YIS,

                  Angela Rosa Dellamora

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Some of these we've done, but many we have not.  I've always been fond of Stella Splendens, thanks for the great suggestions!

                    Don Harrington
                    Lazarus Artifex

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2010
                      My name is Patricia, known in the SCA as Isabelle de Foix. I am interested in all sorts of medieval music especially troubadour music.
                      THL Isabelle de Foix

                      blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                        Welcome to the Known World Choir email list, Isabelle!

                        We're pretty quiet except around big wars with choir activity, but feel free to contact the list if you have any questions.

                        Arianna

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                          I'm interested in troubadour books.