Greetings

  • Merrin Davidson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
      Greetings to the list. I am Na'arah bat Avraham from the Barony of
      Darkwood in the Kingdom of the West. Since I saw other
      introductions posted earlier, I thought I should post mine. While
      I've been in the SCA for a long time, I'm heading to my first
      Estrella. And singing with the KWC is on the top of my list of
      things to do. Currently I'm the Choir Minion for our new Baronial
      Choir, and I've sung on and off in choirs, synagogues, and bardic
      whatevers for most of my life. Looking forward to meeting some of
      you next month.

      In Service,

      Lady Na'arah bat Avraham
    • DON HARRINGTON
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
        We look forward to meeting you, too. Help us make our first KW Choir at
        Estrella a success!

        Don Harrington
        Lazarus Artifex
      • maria daggett
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
          I just want every one to know that I am SO excited
          about the first KWC at Estrella. Its such a big step
          to bring this great group out to Estrella. And it's
          not like it's actually a group but an idea and a
          director and a group of people willing to re-create
          the music of the renaissance.
          I've been the so-called leader of the KWC for 9
          years now and it's been a quest to really make it
          KNOWN WORLD and get volunteers to take over different
          events and it's happening.

          I want to say a HUGE thank you for singing... for
          commmitting the time. Support the director... and
          have fun.

          I wish I could be there. I realy really do.
          I will be there in spirit and please know that you
          have my support and that even though I am not able to
          be there, I'm really proud to see this idea of the
          Known World Choir spread accross the USA.

          Thank you......

          ERlandr Nordskald
          Co-ordinator Known World
          Director Emeritas KWC@Pennsic

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 16, 2005
            Looks like I've got the time off! Looking forward to singing again. I
            had a blast last year.

            Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom
          • Maria Daggett
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              Far as I know, there will be a choir at Estrella...
              More details will follow.
              This would be the third year for that.
              :)

              > Erlandr, is there a Choir in the works for Estrella? I'm
              > planning on
              > attending and am wondering. Pennsic choir was wonderful and
              > would
              > like to sing again . . .
              >
              > Celaena, EK

              that gives answers, not web links.
            • DON HARRINGTON
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                Fourth year, actually.

                We've talked about some alternatives for director, but it hasn't been productive.  I hadn't realized that a Choir commitment was 'till death do us part.  Smiley emoticon

                I went ahead and put up a holding page for it on my website and reloaded the previous 3 years files, so all the music we've done up to now is available (www.donharrington.net, click on the <Known World Choir> menu item).  I believe we have rehearsal space reserved in the A&S pavilion as in years past, but the performance location is still up for discussion.  I'm voting for during Queen's Tea, rather than after it.  People have also commented that we should promote the Choir more on the War website and in the program book.  Last year, it was hard to find it in the program book and impossible to find on the War site, but that may have had more to do with production problems than anything else.  Nonetheless, it's important to have the info available.

                I love doing the Choir, but my time on the war site is limited to only a few hours each day.  Last year, my household made joking comments that I was just treating them like a hotel, showing up for a minute, running off to rehearsal, coming back for a minute and leaving.  I admit I was reluctant to say yes to another year, but it looks like that would be the best for now.  What we need to do is open up a 4-Kingdom search for alternate directors, since we usually have at least 4 Kingdoms as treaty signers.  Within the Kingdom of Atenveldt, we know most of the people and they all say, "weren't you doing it again, Laz?  It's a tradition now".

                Don Harrington
                Lazarus Artifex

                Far as I know, there will be a choir at Estrella...
                More details will follow.
                This would be the third year for that.
                :)

                > Erlandr, is there a Choir in the works for Estrella? I'm
                > planning on
                > attending and am wondering. Pennsic choir was wonderful and
                > would
                > like to sing again . . .
                >
                > Celaena, EK

                that gives answers, not web links.
                http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mobileweb/ onesearch? refer=1ONXIC

              • Maria Daggett
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Til Death Due Us part
                  That's funny!
                  Absolutely not Lazarus. And you're right it will be the 4th
                  year. How quickly time passes.
                  It's fun doing the choir, but I don't reccommend doing it for
                  all the years in a row. It's tiring and you miss so much else of
                  the war. Three years is a lot more than I had even hoped for.

                  It's important for musicians out in the West end of the US to
                  look amongst themselves for a possible director. It certainly
                  will be nice to have the Choir at Estrella, however not at the
                  expense of anyone's war experience of course.
                  I never know if I am able to make it out there in time to
                  commit to doing it.

                  Even if someone has an inkling of experience and the dedication
                  to try, I can work with them to make it happen. Lazarus is
                  willing I'm sure to help guide a new person through the process
                  of getting rehearsal/performance space and working out details.

                  So, choir members, think about it.... do you know a person who
                  might be suited to direct Estrella this year, well, next year
                  actually (2008)?
                  Perhaps a singer from the last year? Maybe you can do it.

                  Just thoughts

                • Gwenfain Verch Gorwan
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3 11:32 AM
                    Well i was pondering if i should just lurk for a bit or hop right in. I
                    decided to hop in ()8) My name is Gwenfain Verch Gorwan from Santa
                    Monica, CA (Kingdom of Caid) I sing either soprano or alto and am
                    trying really really hard to get Pensics this year. I look forward to
                    seeing the music for this year at least so I can learn some new songs.
                    I am currently working in my family business and in my spare time am
                    writing a novel.
                    Well that is all there is about me. Just wanted to introduce myself and
                    hope to meet some of y'all at Pennsic this year ()8)
                  • mary-flo@sympatico.ca
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3 9:19 PM

                      This'll be my first Pennsic too!  Can't wait!!

                      Life is short!
                      Forgive quickly!
                      Love truly,
                      Laugh uncontrollably
                      .

                      Love life, live gratefully,

                      Blessings and hugs,

                      Mary-florence

                      www.mary-flo.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4 6:25 AM
                        Greetings fellow KW Choir members,

                        My name is Denw verch Rhys and I too am looking forward to Pennsic this year. I recently moved and now I am situated 1 hour from our campsite at Cooper's. I have sung in at least 4 KW Choirs at Pennsic and have enjoyed every minute. Hope to see all of you there this year.

                        Yours in music,

                        Denw

                        To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
                        From: gwenfain@...
                        Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 18:32:31 +0000

                        Well i was pondering if i should just lurk for a bit or hop right in. I
                        decided to hop in ()8) My name is Gwenfain Verch Gorwan from Santa
                        Monica, CA (Kingdom of Caid) I sing either soprano or alto and am
                        trying really really hard to get Pensics this year. I look forward to
                        seeing the music for this year at least so I can learn some new songs.
                        I am currently working in my family business and in my spare time am
                        writing a novel.
                        Well that is all there is about me. Just wanted to introduce myself and
                        hope to meet some of y'all at Pennsic this year ()8)

                        With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.
                      • June
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008
                          I have but 2 requests

                          1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                          compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                          2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                          theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                          music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                          of today (hooks people)

                          Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                          Mairghreicc
                          aka "Meitheamh"
                          aka "June"
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008
                            Lady Erlan can probably help you with the CD.

                            For the Dickens Christmas, are you interested in music from Dickens' time period, or the SCA's time period? There's a lot of stuff suitable for DIckens that's OOP for us...

                            For the SCA, all of the holiday music Erlan did this past Pennsic is in period, plus my choir also likes the following:

                            Noel Nouvelet (French carol)
                            O Come, O Come Emmanuel (though it sounds better in Latin)
                            Personent Hodie
                            In Dulci Jubilo
                            Coventry Carol
                            Beata Progenies
                            The Holly and the Ivy
                            Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som
                            Gloucestorshire Wassail
                            Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming (better in German)

                            Arianna of Wynthrope

                            1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                            compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                            2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                            theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                            music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                            of today (hooks people)

                            Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                            Mairghreicc
                            aka "Meitheamh"
                            aka "June"

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • June Whalen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008

                              Thank you for the quick response!

                              I am hoping for nice and easy pieces - in time period (although the modern are more known)

                              Our Shire is many things - Arts and Sciences Heavy being the most notable - however a choir we are not - many of us sing (and I am in KWC).

                              A few you mention I am aware of - the others not.

                              I wil look into them

                              Thank You

                              Mairghreicc

                              1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                              compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                              2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                              theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                              music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                              of today (hooks people)

                              Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                              Mairghreicc
                              aka "Meitheamh"
                              aka "June"

                              Do You Yahoo!?