Looking for Medieval/Renaissance Music

  • Cav Girl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23 8:31 AM
      Greetings unto this Fair List,

      I am a member of a historical miniatures gaming society, and will be
      hosting a Medieval Jousting game at a convention in July. (example of
      the figures:
      http://public.fotki.com/cmsciulli/miniaturesandgaming/wip/la-carousel/ )

      I would love to have music playing in the background to add to the
      ambiance of the game. What groups/albums would you suggest?

      Thank you!

      ~Christin Sciulli
    • Ysolt la Bretonne
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23 10:04 AM
        Off the top of my head:

        Baltimore Consort
        Sequentia
        Anonymous 4
        Lionheart
        Fortune's Wheel (Or is that the album...?)

        Ysolt

        --
        MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23 4:34 PM
          The trick, I think, is to have music that is 'bouncy' and 'upbeat' without
          being too overwhelming.

          Naxos as a label has a lot of good period music recordings, listed as 'Early
          Music*Alte Musik'. Some recordings from Naxos I would recommend:

          Chominciamento di gioia; Virtuoso dance-music from the time of Boccaccio's
          Decamerone - Ensemble Unicorn - DDD 8.553131

          Carmina Burana (Medieval poems and songs) - Ensemble Unicorn / Michael Posch
          / Ensemble Oni Wytars / Marco Ambrosini - DDD 8.554837 (note, this is NOT
          the Orff composition)

          At the Sign of the Crumhorn; Flemish Songs and Dance Music from the Susato
          Music Books - Convivium Musicum Gothernburgense / Sven Berger / Andreas
          Edlund - DDD 8.554425

          Codex Faenza; Instrumetal Music of the Early XVth Century - Ensemble Unicorn
          / Michale Posch - DDD 8.553618

          Other labels:

          Sinfonye's "Amydde The Karole For To Daunce" - on the Authentica label of
          Tring International Plc. Item code seems to be AS 003

          "Minstrel Songs And Dances for a Medieval Banquet" - I HIGHLY recommend
          this, for general SCA purposes as well as for what you are doing. It was
          released by a British chain store called Past Times (they sell historical
          'stuff' - reproductions, etc.) I don't know if they 'onsell' their CDs to
          other stores, but their website is www.pasttimes.com. My copy is c.1994; I
          don't know if they are still selling it. Order code on the disc is PT 1828

          "Music of The Tudor Age", released by Soundalive Music on their Music
          Treasures Series, is another good, general music CD. Code is SAMMT/CD/104

          Hopefully that's of some use to you. Good luck!

          Blodeuwedd y Gath,
          Lochac
        • Marcus Antaya
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23 5:30 PM
            myself, I prefer the Whisky Bards, or the musical stylings of in incomparable Heather Dale.

            Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
            Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around Chaotic Neutral guy
            REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....