Pennsic Choir - Pennsic 39

  • dsrubin2004
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi Folks!

      I wanted to introduce myself as the director for Pennsic Choir this year - I MUST stop missing meetings where they 'volunteer' me!

      I am Master Robyn Solarius (mka Dave Rubin) currently of the Middle Kingdom. Some of you might remember me as a long-time Ansteorran who played lots of dance music and organized/directed various madrigal groups. I sang in the Pennsic Choir last year as well as a few times back in the 90's.

      A couple of starting things, then more as I get my feet under me:

      - We will be doing things very similar to last year as it seemed to work well (and thanks to Mistress Arianna for all of her help so far)

      - Concert Thursday night the 12th - most likely again at 6:00

      - Rehearsals will be in the Performing Arts Pavilion. Current thinking is daily from 3-5 starting the Thursday of the first week. I am scheduling the Pavilion from 2-5 in case we need extra time for things like sectionals, so don't panic thinking that I am asking for 3 hour rehearsals

      - I am starting to choose music ASAP! More as I figure that part out

      Any questions or comments, please feel free..

      Looking forward to another great Pensic Choir!

      Robyn/Dave
    • smurffirst
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
        Welcome. Looking forward to it.

        Just a thought: Palestrina, Orlando de Lasso. Tomas Luis de Valara. Thomas Morley, and my all time favorite, Anonymous. As you are following the path blazed by Arianna I have great faith. I hope we can get MP3 or something similar so we can come to Pennsic with our parts down. My good Lady Jane can download and transmute if necessary.

        See you come summer.

        Murchadha
        Bass/Lyric Baritone
        PS: I do not consider myself to be a solo artist.
        MRM --

      • barondevin@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
          > Just a thought: Palestrina, Orlando de Lasso. Tomas Luis de Valara. Thomas Morley,

          Hmmm. Just did "Fire, Fire" in a concert with the University of Illinois at Springfield Chorus last night.

          I don't suppose that's the one you're considering? I already know the Bass line. ;-)

          Devin

          "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
        • Jane Murphy
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010

            <Hmmm. Just did "Fire, Fire" in a concert with the University of Illinois at Springfield Chorus last night.

            I don't suppose that's the one you're considering? I already know the Bass line. ;-)

            I just learned "Fire, Fire" for a local chorus and suspect this piece may be dropped from the too-lengthy program before we can perform it. I would be glad if it were chosen for Pennsic.

            Jane
          • John Phipps
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
              Do you mean Tomas Luis de Victoria? Can't go wrong with O Magnam Mysterium and there is already a website with the midi files and music http://www.uma.es/victoria/partituras.html

              Asperges Me Domine is apt for the Easter season and if its 90 degrees in the shade could be a call for a cooling mist. A man for all seasons.

              > Just a thought: Palestrina, Orlando de Lasso. Tomas Luis de Valara. Thomas Morley,

              Hmmm. Just did "Fire, Fire" in a concert with the University of Illinois at Springfield Chorus last night.

              I don't suppose that's the one you're considering? I already know the Bass line. ;-)

              Devin

              "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)

            • Jazzerat Jazzerat
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                Our madrigal choir did Fire Fire one year ( I was with them for three years).  It's a GREAT song!  Loved it!  I'd definitely recommend it as it is fun to perform and at least equally fun to listen to.

                Dizzy

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                  O Magnum, beautiful, haunting and gorgeous--can we sing that please?
                  Myfanwy

                • annoney@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                    I am not familiar with Fire Fire.  Who wrote it?

                    Theresa

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010

                      Thomas Morley.

                      Jane

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                        Didn't Erlan do Vittoria's "O Magnum Mysterium" at the Pennsic before last? Not that we can't do it again, but it has been done pretty recently...

                        Arianna

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010

                          It was Arianna Morgan the year before that.

                          Jane

                          Karen Kasper wrote:

                          Didn't Erlan do Vittoria's "O Magnum Mysterium" at the Pennsic before last? Not that we can't do it again, but it has been done pretty recently...

                          Arianna

                          O Magnum, beautiful, haunting and gorgeous--can we sing that please?
                          Myfanwy

                        • Isabel1443
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                            Yes, we did O Magnum Mysterium 2 Pennsics ago.
                            Sends a chill down my spine.

                            Lady Isabel Henry
                            Vert, a mortar and pestle Or and on a
                            chief argent four lozenges purpure

                            Didn't Erlan do Vittoria's "O Magnum Mysterium" at the Pennsic before last? Not that we can't do it again, but it has been done pretty recently...

                            Arianna

                            O Magnum, beautiful, haunting and gorgeous--can we sing that please?
                            Myfanwy
                            Asperges Me Domine is apt for the Easter season and if its 90 degrees in the shade could be a call for a cooling mist. A man for all seasons.

                            > Just a thought: Palestrina, Orlando de Lasso. Tomas Luis de Valara. Thomas Morley,

                            Hmmm. Just did "Fire, Fire" in a concert with the University of Illinois at Springfield Chorus last night.

                            I don't suppose that's the one you're considering? I already know the Bass line. ;-)

                            Devin

                            "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)

                          • Erlandr Nordenskald
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 12, 2010
                              I think that because Arianna Morgan did O Magnum 3 years ago, I did O Quam Glorioso for the "christmas in august" program 2 years ago... but honestly I can't remember.
                              It makes me happy to see so much chatter about music on the list... and getting ready for this year's Choir Concert.
                              YAY...

                              I will be there.. and rumor has it that I may jump in and do one selection... no formal plans have been made as of yet.

                              Erlan
                            • chrissings@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 12, 2010

                                Erlandr:

                                You also did O Magnum the year after I did!

                                Arianna M.

                                I think that because Arianna Morgan did O Magnum 3 years ago, I did O Quam Glorioso for the "christmas in august" program 2 years ago... but honestly I can't remember.
                                It makes me happy to see so much chatter about music on the list... and getting ready for this year's Choir Concert.
                                YAY...

                                I will be there.. and rumor has it that I may jump in and do one selection... no formal plans have been made as of yet.

                                Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                                AwesomePennyStocks.com
                              • smurffirst
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 12, 2010
                                  We did do O Magnum three years ago and it is a beautiful piece of music. I still have the music. If you choose to reprise it I will have no objection as I already know it. Yet it might be good to consider expanding our horizons.

                                  Murchadha

                                  --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:

                                  > Erlandr:
                                  > You also did O Magnum the year after I did!
                                  > Arianna M.

                                • Janet Ryan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 13, 2010
                                    Hey, we could do the MISSA O Magnum Mysterium! lol

                                    Really, though, we should hope he gives us at least one thing we didn't already know.
                                    Alison