Re: [KWChoir] Choral Singing at Gulf Wars

  • Alesone Lesley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2010
      It would be great if you could post them; I know that I would like to see them

      Alesone

      On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM, L. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse <chanteresse@...> wrote:

      Bonjour, fellow vocalists!

      I have a few suggestions, for which I have the sheet music.  If you would like, I can post them to the file section if anyone would like to look at them to make a decision on whether or not to do them.

      Mon Coeur se Recomende a Vous – Orlando di Lasso

      O Occhi Manza Mia – Orlando di Lasso

      Rest Sweet Nymphs – Francis Pilkington

      Sing We and Chant It – Thomas Morley

      Adieu Sweet Amaryllis – John Wilbye

      Past Tyme with Good Company – Henry VIII

      I’ve got many more, but I thought these might be interesting.

      Vôtre, en service,

      Melissent

      Mademoiselle Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse (Trimaris)

    • ChrisM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2010
        Good gentles,

        Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'll certainly add them to the "Noontime Singing" biner.

        One note though, on one of Melissent's recommendations:

        I've taught a couple of workshops on "Research as it Pertains to Song in the SCA". It examines the scholarship out there, and how it applies to casual singing, or a local choir or ensemble working up a informal presentation before court, or an A&S competition entry.

        And the Piece in Question for that workshop is "Mon Coeur se Recommende a Vous" by Orlando di Lasso.

        Let's say that you saw a performance:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qub4lvuEk6U&feature=related
        and you decided to perform it at an event. How do books like "A Performer's Guide to Renaissance Music" by Jeffery Kite-Powell, or "Companion to Medieval and Renaissance Music", compiled by Knighton & Fallows, help a performance group?

        Hearing a piece, how do you track it down?

        The Choral Public Domain Library http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

        The IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library for instrumental works http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

        Sheet Music Plus commercial site with previews
        http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/

        Google Scholar, which filters out a lot of random sites
        http://scholar.google.com/

        "Old Manuscripts and Incunabula" – should be familiar to scribes http://www.omifacsimiles.com/

        Go to your university music library and ask for help.

        So, we find the sheet music at the CPDL: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/5/55/Mon_coeur_se_recommande_a_vous.pdf

        In this case, we find a note on the CPDL website: "Description: Lassus wrote an intricate polyphonic piece on the same text, which has nothing to do with this simple harmonization, which probably dates from the 19th century.

        Whoops! Tracing publications back, it looks like the first misattribution of this piece to Lassus was the Schirmer editions of the 1930's.

        I know that one publication of the piece was in "Les meslanges d'Orlande de Lassus" by Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1576. But there must have been an earlier publication, because we have two previously-published parody chansons based off it:

        One by Gerard de Turnhout in the collection "Sacrarum ac alia cantionum trium vocum, tam viva voce, quam instrumentis cantatu commodissimarum," published by Pierre Phalese in 1569, …

        And another by Jean de Castro, part of "Livre de chansons nouvellement compose' a troys parties par Jo. Castro", published by the same Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1575.

        The CPDL site claims: "This polyphonic composition appeared for the first time in "Tiers livre des chansons a 4,5 & 6 parties nouvellement composées par Orlando di Lassus", 1560."

        Two scores:
        http://blowthyhorn.com/choralMusicEditions/mon_coeur/mon_coeur.pdf (In 3 flats)
        http://arenai.free.fr/Database/Partitions/@las_mc.pdf (in 1 flat)

        The Lassus piece is not nearly so well known, and is perhaps too intricate for a casual collection of singers.

        Yours in service,
        Christian