Re: [KWChoir] Choral Singing at Gulf Wars

  • Alesone Lesley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
      As of right now I plan to be at Gulf Wars. This sounds like great fun and I can probably recruit some of our local Madrigal Group members to join in too!

      Alesone

      On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM, ChrisM <c.mortika@...> wrote:

      It looks like the A&S squad for Gulf Wars is interested in adding choir to the list of activities.

      The blurb should look like:

      "Come make a Merrie Noise! Singers of all voices and talents are welcome to join in Noontime Singing. Each day, we'll warm up our voices and learn such choral works by period composers as we please. We'll have sheet music for a variety of pieces, but feel free to request your favorites."

      I'm not sure where on site they'll put us.

      The idea is to give war participants a singing opportunity, low on commitment (come on the days you can; choose what pieces you'd like to do based on the number and composition of those who show up; we'll plan to performing such pieces for an audience as we feel we can do well) with an emphasis on good technique, fun pieces, and camaraderie. Assuming it goes well, we may try for something more ambitious in 2011.

      The pieces I'm planning to bring:

      Some Ravenscroft Rounds for As Many as Will

      Duets:
      "Sweet Nymph, Come to they Lover" (Morley)
      "Ecco La Primavera" (Landini)
      "Sweet Kate" (Jones)

      Trios:
      "Agincourt Carol" (Anon.)
      "Ah, Robyn, Gentle Robyn" (Cornyshe)
      "How Merrily We Live" (East)
      "Though Philomena Lost Her Love" (Morley)
      "Non Nobis Domine" (Byrd)
      "We Be Three Poore Mariners" (Ravenscroft)

      Quartets:
      "A Round of Three Country Dances" (Ravenscroft)
      "Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie" (Arbeau)
      "Dixit Maria" (Hassler)
      "Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen" (Isaac)
      "Of Beere" (Ravenscroft)
      "Since First I Saw your Face" (Ford)
      "Sumer is icumin in" (Anon.)
      "The Peaceful Western Wind" (Campion)

      Quintets:
      "The Silver Swan" (Gibbons)

      There's still plenty of time to make emendations. Does anybody have any suggestions for songs they think I should bring? Is anyone on this list planning to come to Gulf Wars and join us?

      --Christian d'Hiver, Calontir

    • Turgiua
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2010
        Maybe not too ambitious. Gulf Wars is only 1 week total. Something in English and easy to learn, please. We'll be near the water... Maybe some sea chanties ( or point me to the sea chanty group)...

        This would be my first Gulf War, personal stuff delayed my arrival at Pennsic last year until late in the 2nd week.

        Turgiua
      • L. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2010

          Bonjour, fellow vocalists!

          I have a few suggestions, for which I have the sheet music.  If you would like, I can post them to the file section if anyone would like to look at them to make a decision on whether or not to do them.

          Mon Coeur se Recomende a Vous – Orlando di Lasso

          O Occhi Manza Mia – Orlando di Lasso

          Rest Sweet Nymphs – Francis Pilkington

          Sing We and Chant It – Thomas Morley

          Adieu Sweet Amaryllis – John Wilbye

          Past Tyme with Good Company – Henry VIII

          I’ve got many more, but I thought these might be interesting.

          Vôtre, en service,

          Melissent

          Mademoiselle Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse (Trimaris)

        • Alesone Lesley

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2010
              Good gentles,

              Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'll certainly add them to the "Noontime Singing" biner.

              One note though, on one of Melissent's recommendations:

              I've taught a couple of workshops on "Research as it Pertains to Song in the SCA". It examines the scholarship out there, and how it applies to casual singing, or a local choir or ensemble working up a informal presentation before court, or an A&S competition entry.

              And the Piece in Question for that workshop is "Mon Coeur se Recommende a Vous" by Orlando di Lasso.

              Let's say that you saw a performance:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qub4lvuEk6U&feature=related
              and you decided to perform it at an event. How do books like "A Performer's Guide to Renaissance Music" by Jeffery Kite-Powell, or "Companion to Medieval and Renaissance Music", compiled by Knighton & Fallows, help a performance group?

              Hearing a piece, how do you track it down?

              The Choral Public Domain Library http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

              The IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library for instrumental works http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

              Sheet Music Plus commercial site with previews
              http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/

              Google Scholar, which filters out a lot of random sites
              http://scholar.google.com/

              "Old Manuscripts and Incunabula" – should be familiar to scribes http://www.omifacsimiles.com/

              Go to your university music library and ask for help.

              So, we find the sheet music at the CPDL: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/5/55/Mon_coeur_se_recommande_a_vous.pdf

              In this case, we find a note on the CPDL website: "Description: Lassus wrote an intricate polyphonic piece on the same text, which has nothing to do with this simple harmonization, which probably dates from the 19th century.

              Whoops! Tracing publications back, it looks like the first misattribution of this piece to Lassus was the Schirmer editions of the 1930's.

              I know that one publication of the piece was in "Les meslanges d'Orlande de Lassus" by Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1576. But there must have been an earlier publication, because we have two previously-published parody chansons based off it:

              One by Gerard de Turnhout in the collection "Sacrarum ac alia cantionum trium vocum, tam viva voce, quam instrumentis cantatu commodissimarum," published by Pierre Phalese in 1569, …

              And another by Jean de Castro, part of "Livre de chansons nouvellement compose' a troys parties par Jo. Castro", published by the same Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1575.

              The CPDL site claims: "This polyphonic composition appeared for the first time in "Tiers livre des chansons a 4,5 & 6 parties nouvellement composées par Orlando di Lassus", 1560."

              Two scores:
              http://blowthyhorn.com/choralMusicEditions/mon_coeur/mon_coeur.pdf (In 3 flats)
              http://arenai.free.fr/Database/Partitions/@las_mc.pdf (in 1 flat)

              The Lassus piece is not nearly so well known, and is perhaps too intricate for a casual collection of singers.

              Yours in service,
              Christian