Re: [KWChoir] Choral Singing at Gulf Wars

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hi Christian!

      How exciting to have choral music at Gulf Wars!

      Your plan sounds like a fine idea. I used to run what I called "sing-alongs" at Pennsic for people who couldn't commit to the Pennsic Choir's lengthy schedule. It was a one-shot thing but similar in concept - we just sight-read through a bunch of period choral music.

      You're wise to have primarily English pieces, so people can concentrate on the notes rather than the words. I have a few suggestions if you like, though I won't be at Gulf Wars:

      "All Gaily Join the Singing" by Adam Gumpelzhaimer (SAB) - very easy and upbeat
      "O Occhi Manza Mia" by Orlando di Lasso (SATB) I know, Italian, but a lot of people know it and it's not long or difficult
      "Alleluia" by Praetorius (SATB) - a very short canon my choir recently picked up for use as a processional
      "Your Shining Eyes" by Thomas Bateson (SAB)

      Good luck!

      Arianna of Wynthrope

    • L. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010

        I hope to be there – please let me know if you could use a soprano in a hoop. J

        Best wishes to all for a happy New Year and

        Vôtre, en service,

        Melissent

        Mademoiselle Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
        Troubadour Laureate Autumn 2009
        Bard of Darkwater and the House of Glen Meara
        Protégé of Duchess Islay Elspeth of Glen Meara, Apprentice of Master Niall McFarlane and Foster to Master Octavio deFlores

        Deputy Librarian, Kingdom of Trimaris

        Chronicler & Deputy Art/Sci Officer, Barony of Darkwater
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0716261/

        Mia Small Device.JPG

        Quand les mots manquent, la musique parle.

        As an artist I come to sing, but as a citizen, I will always speak for peace, and no one can silence me in this. – Paul Robeson

      • Alesone Lesley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
          As of right now I plan to be at Gulf Wars. This sounds like great fun and I can probably recruit some of our local Madrigal Group members to join in too!

          Alesone

          On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM, ChrisM <c.mortika@...> wrote:

          It looks like the A&S squad for Gulf Wars is interested in adding choir to the list of activities.

          The blurb should look like:

          "Come make a Merrie Noise! Singers of all voices and talents are welcome to join in Noontime Singing. Each day, we'll warm up our voices and learn such choral works by period composers as we please. We'll have sheet music for a variety of pieces, but feel free to request your favorites."

          I'm not sure where on site they'll put us.

          The idea is to give war participants a singing opportunity, low on commitment (come on the days you can; choose what pieces you'd like to do based on the number and composition of those who show up; we'll plan to performing such pieces for an audience as we feel we can do well) with an emphasis on good technique, fun pieces, and camaraderie. Assuming it goes well, we may try for something more ambitious in 2011.

          The pieces I'm planning to bring:

          Some Ravenscroft Rounds for As Many as Will

          Duets:
          "Sweet Nymph, Come to they Lover" (Morley)
          "Ecco La Primavera" (Landini)
          "Sweet Kate" (Jones)

          Trios:
          "Agincourt Carol" (Anon.)
          "Ah, Robyn, Gentle Robyn" (Cornyshe)
          "How Merrily We Live" (East)
          "Though Philomena Lost Her Love" (Morley)
          "Non Nobis Domine" (Byrd)
          "We Be Three Poore Mariners" (Ravenscroft)

          Quartets:
          "A Round of Three Country Dances" (Ravenscroft)
          "Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie" (Arbeau)
          "Dixit Maria" (Hassler)
          "Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen" (Isaac)
          "Of Beere" (Ravenscroft)
          "Since First I Saw your Face" (Ford)
          "Sumer is icumin in" (Anon.)
          "The Peaceful Western Wind" (Campion)

          Quintets:
          "The Silver Swan" (Gibbons)

          There's still plenty of time to make emendations. Does anybody have any suggestions for songs they think I should bring? Is anyone on this list planning to come to Gulf Wars and join us?

          --Christian d'Hiver, Calontir

        • Turgiua
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2010
            Maybe not too ambitious. Gulf Wars is only 1 week total. Something in English and easy to learn, please. We'll be near the water... Maybe some sea chanties ( or point me to the sea chanty group)...

            This would be my first Gulf War, personal stuff delayed my arrival at Pennsic last year until late in the 2nd week.

            Turgiua
          • L. Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2010

              Bonjour, fellow vocalists!

              I have a few suggestions, for which I have the sheet music.  If you would like, I can post them to the file section if anyone would like to look at them to make a decision on whether or not to do them.

              Mon Coeur se Recomende a Vous – Orlando di Lasso

              O Occhi Manza Mia – Orlando di Lasso

              Rest Sweet Nymphs – Francis Pilkington

              Sing We and Chant It – Thomas Morley

              Adieu Sweet Amaryllis – John Wilbye

              Past Tyme with Good Company – Henry VIII

              I’ve got many more, but I thought these might be interesting.

              Vôtre, en service,

              Melissent

              Mademoiselle Melissent Jaquelinne la Chanteresse (Trimaris)

            • Alesone Lesley

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2010
                  Good gentles,

                  Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'll certainly add them to the "Noontime Singing" biner.

                  One note though, on one of Melissent's recommendations:

                  I've taught a couple of workshops on "Research as it Pertains to Song in the SCA". It examines the scholarship out there, and how it applies to casual singing, or a local choir or ensemble working up a informal presentation before court, or an A&S competition entry.

                  And the Piece in Question for that workshop is "Mon Coeur se Recommende a Vous" by Orlando di Lasso.

                  Let's say that you saw a performance:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qub4lvuEk6U&feature=related
                  and you decided to perform it at an event. How do books like "A Performer's Guide to Renaissance Music" by Jeffery Kite-Powell, or "Companion to Medieval and Renaissance Music", compiled by Knighton & Fallows, help a performance group?

                  Hearing a piece, how do you track it down?

                  The Choral Public Domain Library http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

                  The IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library for instrumental works http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

                  Sheet Music Plus commercial site with previews
                  http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/

                  Google Scholar, which filters out a lot of random sites
                  http://scholar.google.com/

                  "Old Manuscripts and Incunabula" – should be familiar to scribes http://www.omifacsimiles.com/

                  Go to your university music library and ask for help.

                  So, we find the sheet music at the CPDL: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/5/55/Mon_coeur_se_recommande_a_vous.pdf

                  In this case, we find a note on the CPDL website: "Description: Lassus wrote an intricate polyphonic piece on the same text, which has nothing to do with this simple harmonization, which probably dates from the 19th century.

                  Whoops! Tracing publications back, it looks like the first misattribution of this piece to Lassus was the Schirmer editions of the 1930's.

                  I know that one publication of the piece was in "Les meslanges d'Orlande de Lassus" by Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1576. But there must have been an earlier publication, because we have two previously-published parody chansons based off it:

                  One by Gerard de Turnhout in the collection "Sacrarum ac alia cantionum trium vocum, tam viva voce, quam instrumentis cantatu commodissimarum," published by Pierre Phalese in 1569, …

                  And another by Jean de Castro, part of "Livre de chansons nouvellement compose' a troys parties par Jo. Castro", published by the same Adrian le Roy and Robert Ballard in 1575.

                  The CPDL site claims: "This polyphonic composition appeared for the first time in "Tiers livre des chansons a 4,5 & 6 parties nouvellement composées par Orlando di Lassus", 1560."

                  Two scores:
                  http://blowthyhorn.com/choralMusicEditions/mon_coeur/mon_coeur.pdf (In 3 flats)
                  http://arenai.free.fr/Database/Partitions/@las_mc.pdf (in 1 flat)

                  The Lassus piece is not nearly so well known, and is perhaps too intricate for a casual collection of singers.

                  Yours in service,
                  Christian