source for music

  • Victoria Sapko
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2009
      Someone on another SCA email list I'm on is in the process of photographing and digitizing some medieval books of music that he owns.  He is curious as to who would be interested in acquiring this music when he is done.  He does not have a complete bibliography or pricing yet, but does have a description of one text.  Please contact him directly if you are interested.

      Rosina

      > As some of you might remember, I've been digitally photographing some old books and distributing said photographs to interested parties in the SCA. It only now occurred to me that there may be interested parties _outside_ of the SCA....

      > So I wonders, I does: are any of you in or have good friends who are in professional, semi-professional, or serious-amateur old-music groups ("old" being defined as including music before 1600) who do vocal stuff (as in, not just instrumental)? And who would be interested in getting data DVD's full of (possibly never been published since 1550ish) good, old music (sheet music, that'd be, not music music, errr, ah, hell, you know what I'm talking about)?

      > This occurs to me now because I'm in the middle of neatening up the photographs of a six-volume collection of motets written for the Hapsburg court that's just crying out for modern performances. And there are other books I've already done (mostly Gregorian Chants, but also including other fare).

      > I have stuff. Are there groups wanting to use it?

      > Let me know, either here or privately - alban at socket dot net

      What I'm digitizing-and-neatening-up right now is a six-volume set:
      Pietro Giovanelli's "Novi [atque catholici] thesauri musici. Liber Primus [-Quintus],
      quo selectissime planeque, novae, nec unquam in lucem aeditae cantiones sacrae
      (quas vulgo moteta vocant) continentur octo, septem, sex, quinque, ac quatuor
      vocum, a prestantissimis ac huius aetatis, precipuis Symphoniacis compositae,
      quae in sacra Ecclesia catholica, summis solemnibusque, festiuitatibus, canuntur,
      ad omnis generis instrumenta musica, accommodatae Petri Ioannelli Bergomensis
      de Gandino, summo studio ac labore collectae, eiusque, expensis impressae..."

      <whew>

      I also have a few volumes of Gregorian Chant, service books, one book of
      the Psalms set to music (English, late 16th century), Morley, Dowland....
      but no Isaac.

      --
      Victoria Sapko