Re: [KWChoir] Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

  • Elizabeth Dowling
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
      Many years ago, while visiting Chartres for a short tour, a choir was
      rehearsing there. Walking into the cathedral, the immense size and
      bright blue stained glass created an immediate impression. But the
      sound stopped everybody on the tour dead in our tracks. The voices
      seemed to rise up and up, and there wasn't any place where the sound was
      dead. We walked into the cathedral in slow motion, and in wonder at all
      our senses, beauty and life everywhere, and those of us inside seemed to
      be lifted up with the voices.

      A number of years later, my husband worked in the World Trade Center,
      and walking into the lower subway level was an overwhelming sea of
      rushing people, hurrying away as fast as they could. In the floors
      above, people were running through a maze. Elevators were painful.
      The upper floors made people sea-sick with the swaying. The roof had a
      view, but there was more of a play with the wind, and a feeling that the
      wind would push or pull a person off. My husband was lucky to work
      somewhere else soon afterwards. Even though it is just a building,
      Chartres and the sound in it are so much more great.
      Elizabeth of Gwyntarian

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
        Thank you so much, Josselyn, for a moving trip down memory lane! I tried to sing with the choir that year but other duties interfered and I had to drop out. After I attended the concert I knew that I would always regret that decision. It was a magical moment, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the videos when you're able to get them online!

        Arianna of Wynthrope

        P.S. For those of you who may not know, Mistress Josselyn founded the Pennsic Choir way back when. :-)

      • Erlandr Nordenskald
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
          All I can say is
          WOW
          If you look carefully, one can see a little bit younger Erlan, who is really quite short.... in the backish row... sort of at 11:00 O'clock.
          This was 1994 REALLY. wow.
          That was the least year I just sang in the choir... I did also section for 3 years after that and then poof, it got given to me, in my lap... for just.. "a year while I have a baby"... Elfrida said.... geesh.
          OK, that was a real trip to watch. WOW.

          That was a really awesome concert.
          Thanks Jocelyn... thank you so much for putting that online.

          It made my day start a little bit easier today.

          Erlan
        • Ysolt la Bretonne
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
            What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
            pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
            following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
            in such a short time at war.

            Ysolt

            --
            MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
            Barony of Windmasters' Hill
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
              Hello - here is the repertoire from that year (again, thanks to Sir Arloff for publishing it in his Architectural Guild News!)

              Alleluia (chant from the Kyriale)
              Sit Gloria Domini (organum, Musica enchiriadis, c. 850)
              Sanctus (Anton Brumel, Missa et ecce Terrae Motus)
              Santus/Benedictus (Orlandus Lassus, Missa super Bella Amfitrit'altera)
              Qui Habitat (Josquin Des Prez)
              Santus (Giovanni da Palestrina, Messe Ut Re Mi Fa Sol)

              The video clip is the Palestrina. More soon,

              Josselyne

              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

              > What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
              > pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
              > following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
              > in such a short time at war.
              >
              > Ysolt
              >
              > --
              > MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
              > Barony of Windmasters' Hill

            • Susan Kell
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
                Known World Choir
                Thanks so much for sharing that, Josselyne!
                I had heard about the Chartres project, but did not get a chance to see it "live" due to other obligations. I look forward to seeing/hearing more pieces of the concert -- especially if any of them pan around the "cathedral"!
                -- Ygraine
                Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

                Posted by: "jossgoboom" jossgoboom@...   jossgoboom

                Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm (PDT)

                Greetings to all from Mistress Josselyne,

                 (snip)