RE: [KWChoir] Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

  • Anne of Carthew
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009

      OMG. Thank you SO much for sharing this.  That was such an awesome year, and I have many great memories of the preparation, choir, and performance.

      Anne

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
        Many years ago, while visiting Chartres for a short tour, a choir was
        rehearsing there. Walking into the cathedral, the immense size and
        bright blue stained glass created an immediate impression. But the
        sound stopped everybody on the tour dead in our tracks. The voices
        seemed to rise up and up, and there wasn't any place where the sound was
        dead. We walked into the cathedral in slow motion, and in wonder at all
        our senses, beauty and life everywhere, and those of us inside seemed to
        be lifted up with the voices.

        A number of years later, my husband worked in the World Trade Center,
        and walking into the lower subway level was an overwhelming sea of
        rushing people, hurrying away as fast as they could. In the floors
        above, people were running through a maze. Elevators were painful.
        The upper floors made people sea-sick with the swaying. The roof had a
        view, but there was more of a play with the wind, and a feeling that the
        wind would push or pull a person off. My husband was lucky to work
        somewhere else soon afterwards. Even though it is just a building,
        Chartres and the sound in it are so much more great.
        Elizabeth of Gwyntarian

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
          Thank you so much, Josselyn, for a moving trip down memory lane! I tried to sing with the choir that year but other duties interfered and I had to drop out. After I attended the concert I knew that I would always regret that decision. It was a magical moment, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the videos when you're able to get them online!

          Arianna of Wynthrope

          P.S. For those of you who may not know, Mistress Josselyn founded the Pennsic Choir way back when. :-)

        • Erlandr Nordenskald
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
            All I can say is
            WOW
            If you look carefully, one can see a little bit younger Erlan, who is really quite short.... in the backish row... sort of at 11:00 O'clock.
            This was 1994 REALLY. wow.
            That was the least year I just sang in the choir... I did also section for 3 years after that and then poof, it got given to me, in my lap... for just.. "a year while I have a baby"... Elfrida said.... geesh.
            OK, that was a real trip to watch. WOW.

            That was a really awesome concert.
            Thanks Jocelyn... thank you so much for putting that online.

            It made my day start a little bit easier today.

            Erlan
          • Ysolt la Bretonne
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
              What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
              pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
              following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
              in such a short time at war.

              Ysolt

              --
              Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
              Barony of Windmasters' Hill
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
                Hello - here is the repertoire from that year (again, thanks to Sir Arloff for publishing it in his Architectural Guild News!)

                Alleluia (chant from the Kyriale)
                Sit Gloria Domini (organum, Musica enchiriadis, c. 850)
                Sanctus (Anton Brumel, Missa et ecce Terrae Motus)
                Santus/Benedictus (Orlandus Lassus, Missa super Bella Amfitrit'altera)
                Qui Habitat (Josquin Des Prez)
                Santus (Giovanni da Palestrina, Messe Ut Re Mi Fa Sol)

                The video clip is the Palestrina. More soon,

                Josselyne

                --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                > What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
                > pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
                > following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
                > in such a short time at war.
                >
                > Ysolt
                >
                > --
                > Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                > Barony of Windmasters' Hill

              • Susan Kell
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
                  Known World Choir
                  Thanks so much for sharing that, Josselyne!
                  I had heard about the Chartres project, but did not get a chance to see it "live" due to other obligations. I look forward to seeing/hearing more pieces of the concert -- especially if any of them pan around the "cathedral"!
                  -- Ygraine
                  Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

                  Posted by: "jossgoboom" jossgoboom@...   jossgoboom

                  Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm (PDT)

                  Greetings to all from Mistress Josselyne,

                   (snip)