Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

  • jossgoboom
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20 12:34 PM
      Greetings to all from Mistress Josselyne,

      This is quite delayed - I've been lurking every so often but haven't had a chance to say hello! I hope this year's Pennsic went well and the choir enjoyed awesome performances.

      It's been many years since I've been to Pennsic - 1994 might well have been the last, I must admit I'm not sure at this point, but I often remember the community fondly, especially the Known World Choir.

      This afternoon I was digging through some VHS tapes to digitize some field recording for my students (I teach at a college in VT) and lo, there was the long-lost recording of the Pennsic 1994 Known World Choir Chartes Project concert!!!

      I put one song up on Facebook for all of you to enjoy. I will try to get the whole thing up as soon as I can - feel free to download/keep what you'd like - giving proper credit to Arloff, the guild, and the choir could be greatly appreciated. In fact, if anyone knows where Arloff is, he might appreciate a copy of this stuff if he doesn't already have it.

      The YouTube link is below. I've literally just uploaded it so it might take some hours for them to get it up and running:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1MyYyxZJs

      Be well, take care, and more soon -
      Mistress Josselyne Ferch Rhys
      Director of choir from.... oh, geez - whever till 1994?

      p.s. I used to have more tapes of concerts from even earlier, and can't seem to locate them. I'll see what I can find.

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "draculachanter" <draculachanter@...> wrote:

      > I just returned from a trip to France, during which I visited the cathedral at Chartres. I
      > thought of the year we (the Known World Choir) sang the 24-part canon in the makeshift
      > cathedral in the barn constructed by the architecture guild. I did hear a choir while I was in
      > the real cathedral, and I did sing along with hymns during a mass, so now I can say I've sung
      > in Chartres cathedral.
      >
      > Someday I'd love to track down a recording of the day we performed that canon. Please drop
      > me a line if you know of any!
      >
      > I'm sorry I won't make it to War this year, but it sounds like the choir is shaping up nicely!
      >
      > Take care,
      > Heloise

    • Anne of Carthew
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20 3:34 PM

        OMG. Thank you SO much for sharing this.  That was such an awesome year, and I have many great memories of the preparation, choir, and performance.

        Anne

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20 10:01 PM
          Many years ago, while visiting Chartres for a short tour, a choir was
          rehearsing there. Walking into the cathedral, the immense size and
          bright blue stained glass created an immediate impression. But the
          sound stopped everybody on the tour dead in our tracks. The voices
          seemed to rise up and up, and there wasn't any place where the sound was
          dead. We walked into the cathedral in slow motion, and in wonder at all
          our senses, beauty and life everywhere, and those of us inside seemed to
          be lifted up with the voices.

          A number of years later, my husband worked in the World Trade Center,
          and walking into the lower subway level was an overwhelming sea of
          rushing people, hurrying away as fast as they could. In the floors
          above, people were running through a maze. Elevators were painful.
          The upper floors made people sea-sick with the swaying. The roof had a
          view, but there was more of a play with the wind, and a feeling that the
          wind would push or pull a person off. My husband was lucky to work
          somewhere else soon afterwards. Even though it is just a building,
          Chartres and the sound in it are so much more great.
          Elizabeth of Gwyntarian

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21 5:25 AM
            Thank you so much, Josselyn, for a moving trip down memory lane! I tried to sing with the choir that year but other duties interfered and I had to drop out. After I attended the concert I knew that I would always regret that decision. It was a magical moment, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the videos when you're able to get them online!

            Arianna of Wynthrope

            P.S. For those of you who may not know, Mistress Josselyn founded the Pennsic Choir way back when. :-)

          • Erlandr Nordenskald
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21 6:31 AM
              All I can say is
              WOW
              If you look carefully, one can see a little bit younger Erlan, who is really quite short.... in the backish row... sort of at 11:00 O'clock.
              This was 1994 REALLY. wow.
              That was the least year I just sang in the choir... I did also section for 3 years after that and then poof, it got given to me, in my lap... for just.. "a year while I have a baby"... Elfrida said.... geesh.
              OK, that was a real trip to watch. WOW.

              That was a really awesome concert.
              Thanks Jocelyn... thank you so much for putting that online.

              It made my day start a little bit easier today.

              Erlan
            • Ysolt la Bretonne
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21 8:11 AM
                What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
                pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
                following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
                in such a short time at war.

                Ysolt

                --
                Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21 9:56 AM
                  Hello - here is the repertoire from that year (again, thanks to Sir Arloff for publishing it in his Architectural Guild News!)

                  Alleluia (chant from the Kyriale)
                  Sit Gloria Domini (organum, Musica enchiriadis, c. 850)
                  Sanctus (Anton Brumel, Missa et ecce Terrae Motus)
                  Santus/Benedictus (Orlandus Lassus, Missa super Bella Amfitrit'altera)
                  Qui Habitat (Josquin Des Prez)
                  Santus (Giovanni da Palestrina, Messe Ut Re Mi Fa Sol)

                  The video clip is the Palestrina. More soon,

                  Josselyne

                  --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                  > What is the lovely piece? Sanctus(?) by whom? Very nicely done. Keep the
                  > pieces coming. It is wonderful. I began singing with the choir the
                  > following year and off and on since. It is amazing what we manage to do
                  > in such a short time at war.
                  >
                  > Ysolt
                  >
                  > --
                  > Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                  > Barony of Windmasters' Hill

                • Susan Kell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21 11:12 AM
                    Known World Choir
                    Thanks so much for sharing that, Josselyne!
                    I had heard about the Chartres project, but did not get a chance to see it "live" due to other obligations. I look forward to seeing/hearing more pieces of the concert -- especially if any of them pan around the "cathedral"!
                    -- Ygraine
                    Re: KWC and Chartres Cathedral - video!!!!

                    Posted by: "jossgoboom" jossgoboom@...   jossgoboom

                    Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm (PDT)

                    Greetings to all from Mistress Josselyne,

                     (snip)