Question about music....

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2009
      Did not want to post this to the list just now, with respect for the condolences for Erlan and her family currently coming in. It just does not feel appropriate at the moment.

      Practicing (learning) the music and had a couple of questions about Ave maris stella. Not sure I understand "(do - c oder f)". The introductory church mode with its four staff lines--is that bottom line C, and are the B and E flats, as in the rest of the piece? (It seems to my ear they are.) And what is the time signature for the piece? Just so you know, I do learn my part (alto) by listening to the mp3s and playing them on piano (do not really play, but know enough to bang them out to learn).

      Thanks in advance for all your help.

      Celaena
    • Michael R. Murphy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2009
        Ave starts in Gregorian chant and moves to Bflat but retains the Gregorian method of no time signature and appears to have eight counts to the modern measure.  The better idea is to download the sheet music and practice according to the midis and/or the MP3s and you'll have it down in a week.  Arianna has provided pronunciation guides on. line.  All the best.

        Murchadha

        To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
        From: diane19128@...
        Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:02:35 +0000
        Subject: [KWChoir] Question about music....

        Did not want to post this to the list just now, with respect for the condolences for Erlan and her family currently coming in. It just does not feel appropriate at the moment.

        Practicing (learning) the music and had a couple of questions about Ave maris stella. Not sure I understand "(do - c oder f)". The introductory church mode with its four staff lines--is that bottom line C, and are the B and E flats, as in the rest of the piece? (It seems to my ear they are.) And what is the time signature for the piece? Just so you know, I do learn my part (alto) by listening to the mp3s and playing them on piano (do not really play, but know enough to bang them out to learn).

        Thanks in advance for all your help.

        Celaena

        Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Spread the word when you add celeb photos to your e-mails. Check it out.