almost pennsic...and discography

  • Anne of Carthew
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hello my friends.
      It's almost pennsic time. I hope you're practicing! (*hint*)

      If you need anything else from me before we actually see each other at choir
      practice, please be sure to contact me before Thursday. Starting Thursday,
      my traveling begins. See you at troll!

      Also, someone suggested that it might be helpful to point to CDs where some
      of our program has been recorded. Good idea. This should not be construed
      as a commercial endorsement, but if you like renaissance music, here's some
      ideas.

      Both "O Sing Joyfully" and "Exultate Deo" is on the recording by Voices of
      Ascension, "Beyond Chant - Mysteries of the Renaissance." And this also
      happens to be one of my most favorite CDs ever.

      "Now is the month of maying" is on a recording of the Cambridge Singers/John
      Rutter, "Flora gave me fairest flowers"

      Amazon seems to show a handful of recordings that include "Angelus ad
      pastores" (Hassler) from which I grabbed the Alleluia, but I don't know any
      of them to recommend. I'm sure I've got tons of christmas recordings that
      must include the "Psallite Unigenito," but not are currently making
      themselves obvious. Likewise for "Pastime"

      And I doubt that there are any recording so "Fertur" - our performance may
      be relatively unique.

      So, 3 recommendations out of 7 pieces. It may help some. See you at the
      war.
      Anne.
    • Eric Grace
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Scripsit Anne:
        >the recording by Voices of
        >Ascension, "Beyond Chant - Mysteries of the Renaissance."  And this also
        >happens to be one of my most favorite CDs ever.

        Yea, verily!  You will recognize this one at a distance by the hideous pink cover.  Don't let that put you off.  A better "best hits of the renaissance" recording cannot be easily found.  If any of our fellow Christmas-concert-at-Pennsic veterans are on the list, you'll find my pet Sweelinck "Hodie" on that CD as well.

        Oh, and off-topic as heck, but I met my wonderful husband at Pennsic twenty years ago-- Pennsic XIII-- so I hope everyone has a great War this year!

        Humming a few bars,
        Elfrida
      • erlannordenskald
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          I can probably rip a few tunes off the CD's and put them up here if
          anyone is interested......I'm pretty sure that the server space on
          yahoo will hold some music files .........

          Elfrida.........has it actually been 20 years already?? Oh MY how
          time flies!!!!

          For those of you who DON"T know her....and wack on you if you
          don't.....Elfrida is MY predecessor.........."sure erlan, take the
          choir for a year, I"ll be back.......ok, well, maybe another
          year......" was that 8 years ago now???

          I wish you were going to be at war. I MISS YOU!!

          By the way if ANYONE remembers Jocelyn, the person who began the
          Choir at Pennsic, I would like to find her........if anyone knows
          her.......I"d appreciate the contact.

          Erlan

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Grace" <carlogesualdo@e...>
          wrote:
          > Scripsit Anne:
          > >the recording by Voices of
          > >Ascension, "Beyond Chant - Mysteries of the Renaissance." And
          this also
          > >happens to be one of my most favorite CDs ever.
          >
          > Yea, verily! You will recognize this one at a distance by the
          hideous pink cover. Don't let that put you off. A better "best hits
          of the renaissance" recording cannot be easily found. If any of our
          fellow Christmas-concert-at-Pennsic veterans are on the list, you'll
          find my pet Sweelinck "Hodie" on that CD as well.

          > Oh, and off-topic as heck, but I met my wonderful husband at
          Pennsic twenty years ago-- Pennsic XIII-- so I hope everyone has a
          great War this year!

          > Humming a few bars,
          > Elfrida
        • Anne
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            Um...lets not, please. Copyright, and all that.

            wrote:
            > Scripsit Anne:
            > >the recording by Voices of
            > >Ascension, "Beyond Chant - Mysteries of the Renaissance." And
            this also
            > >happens to be one of my most favorite CDs ever.
            >
            > Yea, verily! You will recognize this one at a distance by the
            hideous pink cover. Don't let that put you off. A better "best hits
            of the renaissance" recording cannot be easily found. If any of our
            fellow Christmas-concert-at-Pennsic veterans are on the list, you'll
            find my pet Sweelinck "Hodie" on that CD as well.

            > Oh, and off-topic as heck, but I met my wonderful husband at
            Pennsic twenty years ago-- Pennsic XIII-- so I hope everyone has a
            great War this year!

            > Humming a few bars,
            > Elfrida

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • the_real_damont
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2004
              Respondit Elfrida ad Anne:
              >> the recording by Voices of Ascension,
              >> "Beyond Chant - Mysteries of the Renaissance." And this
              >> also happens to be one of my most favorite CDs ever.
              >
              > Yea, verily!... If any of our fellow Christmas-concert-at-Pennsic veterans are
              on the list, you'll find my pet Sweelinck "Hodie" on that CD as well.

              And one of my all-time favorites as well, da Viadana's "Exultate Justi" which I
              first sang in the District High School Chorus Festival twentymumble years
              ago.

              Evan
            • draculachanter
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2004

                > By the way if ANYONE remembers Jocelyn, the person who began the
                > Choir at Pennsic, I would like to find her........if anyone knows
                > her.......I"d appreciate the contact.
                >
                > Erlan

                Hey, me too!!

                One of my most amazing Pennsic experiences ever was the concert we
                did in which the barn was converted into Chartres Cathedral by the
                architecture guild...we did that 24-part canon, remember? I'll never
                forget it, because I was on the first part (and loved every minute of
                it). (I still have the sheet music...what an amazing work!)

                There was a lovely blonde lady from Settmour Swamp whose husband
                taped the whole thing, and said she'd make a copy for me, and damned
                if I didn't lose touch with her. Anyone think they can help with
                that?

                Heloise, trotting down memory lane
              • Julia Kathan
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2004
                  I will get information from Jocelyn's brother once I get to Pennsic.  I will make sure to get you an address and any other contact information he has.
                  Duchess Myfanwy

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 13, 2004
                    Okay, this sounds stupid, but now that I am packing and leaving I realize I don't know when or where the rehearsals are and I don't remember how to get into the Yahoo thingy.  Can someone just give me a quick summary of rehearsals from Saturday thru Thursday?
                    Myfanwy