Change of time for Pennsic Choir's rehearsal TUESDAY AUGUST 4 ONLY

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2009
      Greetings to the singers of the Known World!

      For those participating in this year's Pennsic Choir, I want to pass along a recent change of time for the rehearsal on TUESDAY, AUGUST 4TH ONLY. To accommodate a middle eastern dance group in the Performing Arts Pavilion, our rehearsal was moved from its normal time of 3-5pm. Instead, our rehearsal for that Tuesday ONLY will be from 11am-1pm. This was not what I requested and I recognize that this may pose a problem for some of you. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you can make it, that would be great. If not, I certainly understand. All of the rest of our rehearsals are as posted on the Pennsic website. I have sent the schedule change to the Pennsic web minister so it should be updated there some time in the next day or two.
      On the good news side, we currently have 52 people registered to sing in this year's Pennsic Choir, including 8 tenors and 8 basses. Woo-hoo! The remainder of you are more or less evenly split between the altos and sopranos, so we're in pretty good shape. Could we use more men? Of course. But historically those a darn good numbers. Those altos who offered tenor as their alternate voice should not plan to switch unless they really want to.

      As a reminder, the music is posted on the Yahoo Group under Files > Pennsic Music 2009. Last night, I posted the spoken words for several pieces in a subfolder called Spoken Words so you can hear the pronunciation - the Latin pieces, "Ave Maris Stella" and "Stella Splendens," and the French piece, "La terre les eaux va buvant." I am hoping to record a friend whose Spanish accent is better than mine speaking the words to "Los Reyes Siguen la Estrella" soon, and I'm still looking for someone to record and post the words for the German piece, "Hinunter is der Sonnen Schein" - any volunteers? I can do it but my German may leave something to be desired.

      I apologize but I do not have the time to sing the words for any individual parts right now. I'm in the process of trying to sell a house (and it's not going easily) plus I'm having to work a fair amount of overtime at my job, so my free time is pretty limited. If any altos out there want to tackle that project for Turgiua, please feel free to post the results on the Yahoo Group site. You can create a special folder for them if you like.

      Two more considerations:

      • I would appreciate it if everyone would purchase a 1/2" or 1" black binder for their music. That way we will present a uniform look. You can sometimes pick them up at thrift stores, or they're relatively inexpensive at Office Max, Staples, etc.
      • I haven't entirely finalized the order of the pieces yet, but I would like to have the choir enter the pavilion from the audience side instead of backstage, singing "Stella Splendens" as we process onto the stage. It was a pilgrim song specifically designed for walking. Since it has only two parts, I think we can walk and sing (but not chew gum) at the same time and still sound good. :-)

      Thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to singing with you all at Pennsic!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Pennsic 38 Choir Director