FW: [SCA-HUMOR] Fw: [HF] Please forward - Pennsic Memorial Runestone

  • Catherine Sayre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2009

      Catherine Sayre QABCM

      To: eblenns@yahoogroups.com; gryffonsvale@yahoogroups.com; houseblackstar@yahoogroups.com; sca-humor@yahoogroups.com
      From: beiskaldi@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:20:47 -0700
      Subject: [SCA-HUMOR] Fw: [HF] Please forward - Pennsic Memorial Runestone

      Passing this along as requested. For those of you who go to Pennsic. See below.

      dawn / thyra
      http://www.BigCatRe scue.org/ Icare.htm

      With dogs and people, it's love in big splashy colours.
      When you're involved with a cat, you're dealing in pastels.
      Dr. Louis J. Camuti -- All My Patients Are Under The Bed

      --- On Mon, 6/8/09, ken koll <kenkoll8974@ hotmail.com> wrote:
      Greetings and salutations unto the Known World.
      I am Lord Valdis of Gotland, coordinator of the Pennsic Memorial Runestone.
      I would like to take a quick minute to describe our project and let you know how you can make a contribution financially or physically.
      This is a community project, in the sense that the community of Pennsic 38, you will be carving the stone with the assistance of some carvers who will be on hand.  The stone is approximately 9 tons and will stand over 7 feet tall when erected.  The wording is as follows, '

      The People of the Folk-Assembly (Society) raised this stone in order to give honor to those who have walked these fields and fallen.  We will meet again.'   Written and translated into runes by Magistra Fiana of Clare.  The artwork will includes viking elements of war and passage into an afterlife.  There will be no religious references or personal names on the stone as it honors all who have walked with us.  Each day for 4 hours we will have the runestone available for anyone to carve upon the stone.  The artwork will be laid out already and tools will be provided as well as instruction with practice stones available for you to become comfortable with carving before moving to the main stone.

      For those groups that wish to carve together whether in memory of someone or socially, we will block off time for groups of 10 or more.  Whether you want to carve the stone in memory of someone or simply to have the opportunity to carve a period style stone with period tools, you are welcome.

      Now, financials.. .unfortunately these types of projects cost money.  For the tools, insurance, stone and delivery of the stone we need to raise around $6000 (six thousand dollars) in a short amount of time.  For those individuals that donate a hundred dollars or more we will have a pendant in the shape of the runestone in bronze casted by Crafty Celts, for those individuals that donate two hundred dollars we will have the same pendant in silver, again casted by Crafty Celts.  While six thousand dollars seems like alot to raise in less than two months it is less than a hundred individuals who feel moved to help sponsor this worthy cause.  Any donation in any amount is needed and appreciated.

      Donations made be made at PayPal using our email address of pennsicrunestone@ hotmail.com or you may go to www.pennsicruneston e.com and link PayPal from there.

      I will be posting more to the Pennsic runestone website as we move forward.  The site is designed as a blog so we may discuss different elements of the runestone but more importantly I want to hear stories of our members who have passed and why you are inspired to donate or help carve with your hands...remember you do not have to donate to carve on the stone although your financial support is appreciated.

      Please help spread the word of this project by forwarding to SCA list and friends so that we may reach our goal quickly and have the stone delivered and honor those scadians who are no longer with us.

      Yours In Service,

      Lord Valdis of Gotland

      East Kingdom

      kenkoll8974@ hotmail.com