RE: [KWChoir] songs

  • Mary-florence Bartley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
      How about Heather Dale's CD, "Call the Names"?  or.. Hector's Red Album?
      marihannah

      Unconditional love
      nourishes all things
      without effort.

      Love life, live gratefully,

      Blessings and hugs,

      Mary-florence

      www.mary-flo.com

      To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
      From: corun@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000
      Subject: Re: [KWChoir] songs

      Murphy wrote:

      >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
      >thanks
      >-Murphy

      The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

      Corun

    • gerbing1189
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

        > Im looking for vocal music. for a soprano voice
        > Murphy wrote:
        > >
        > >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
        >

        > The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
        > Corun
        >
        > Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
        >
        > Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
        >
        > If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.
        >
        > - Gwendolyn/Jennifer

      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
          Gwendolyn wrote:

          >Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax?
          Corun wrote:
          I'd love to find
          the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

          Found a website:
          http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/bib_autor/codax/index.shtml

          with facsimilies and modern transcriptions of Martin Codax's 13th century cantigas de amigos.
          Enjoy -

          Gwendolyn/Jennifer
        • Beth Gurzler
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
            Avatar has published a book of "medieval songs and dances (11th-14th C.)" that are short, fun and easy to start off with singing and add harp on open fifth drones, or play on a variety of wind instruments as well.  It is self published but fairly easy to get.  I picked up my 2nd copy at the Boston Early Music Festival yesterday.  I think the early music shop of New England (vonHuene workshop) carries it.  Published by Al Cofrin, it contains seversal of the "Cantigas de Santa Maria" and Carmina Barana pieces among other things.

            Have fun
            Deonna

            To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
            From: corun@...
            Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

            Murphy wrote:

            >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
            >thanks
            >-Murphy

            The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

            Corun

          • Sarah Gerbing
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
              Cool I play the harp too

              Sent from my iPhone

              To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
              From: corun@medievalist. org
              Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

              Murphy wrote:

              >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
              >thanks
              >-Murphy

              The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

              Corun

              #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->

            • Monique Rio
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 12, 2009
                Big Yes to Avatar's "Medieval Songs and Dances". Boulder Early Music
                Shop (http://www.bems.com) sells it. Do a search for Cofrin and his
                two books will show up.

                Also BEMS has a selection of solo music too.
                http://www.bems.com/music.html?q_c=55&bemssess=ff56b3c51674bd4679c0365fb04d907c

                For free sources Gregory Blount's site on ballads is an excellent
                place to start:
                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                This page in specific is quite useful:
                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                As for songs I particularly like: "In a garden so green" is very
                pretty and mostly period. (Early 1600s I think)
                http://blowthyhorn.com/balladsProj/inAGardenSoGreen/Out.pdf

                Yay singing!
                -Jadzia

                --