RE: [KWChoir] songs

  • Mary-florence Bartley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
      How about Heather Dale's CD, "Call the Names"?  or.. Hector's Red Album?
      marihannah

      Unconditional love
      nourishes all things
      without effort.

      Love life, live gratefully,

      Blessings and hugs,

      Mary-florence

      www.mary-flo.com

      To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
      From: corun@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000
      Subject: Re: [KWChoir] songs

      Murphy wrote:

      >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
      >thanks
      >-Murphy

      The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

      Corun

    • chestnutdragon@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "gerbing1189" <gerbing1189@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
        > thanks
        > -Murphy

        Murphy,

        There is a BRILLIANT acapella choral piece called: "O Magnum Mysterium" by Robert Shaw Chorale that is breathtaking. Very traditional, not really featuring a solo, but good to have on the list for great pieces. Take care!

        Cheris :)
      • chrissings@juno.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

          Of course Dowland is incredibly depressing...but still lovely.

          Arianna M.

          >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
          >thanks
          >-Murphy

          The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

          Corun

          Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.

        • gerbing1189
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

            > Im looking for vocal music. for a soprano voice
            > Murphy wrote:
            > >
            > >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
            >

            > The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
            > Corun
            >
            > Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
            >
            > Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
            >
            > If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.
            >
            > - Gwendolyn/Jennifer

          • Jennifer Kobayashi
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
              Gwendolyn wrote:

              >Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax?
              Corun wrote:
              I'd love to find
              the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

              Found a website:
              http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/bib_autor/codax/index.shtml

              with facsimilies and modern transcriptions of Martin Codax's 13th century cantigas de amigos.
              Enjoy -

              Gwendolyn/Jennifer
            • Beth Gurzler
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                Avatar has published a book of "medieval songs and dances (11th-14th C.)" that are short, fun and easy to start off with singing and add harp on open fifth drones, or play on a variety of wind instruments as well.  It is self published but fairly easy to get.  I picked up my 2nd copy at the Boston Early Music Festival yesterday.  I think the early music shop of New England (vonHuene workshop) carries it.  Published by Al Cofrin, it contains seversal of the "Cantigas de Santa Maria" and Carmina Barana pieces among other things.

                Have fun
                Deonna

                To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
                From: corun@...
                Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                Murphy wrote:

                >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                >thanks
                >-Murphy

                The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                Corun

              • Sarah Gerbing
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                  Cool I play the harp too

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
                  From: corun@medievalist. org
                  Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                  Murphy wrote:

                  >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                  >thanks
                  >-Murphy

                  The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                  Corun

                  #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->

                • Monique Rio
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2009
                    Big Yes to Avatar's "Medieval Songs and Dances". Boulder Early Music
                    Shop (http://www.bems.com) sells it. Do a search for Cofrin and his
                    two books will show up.

                    Also BEMS has a selection of solo music too.
                    http://www.bems.com/music.html?q_c=55&bemssess=ff56b3c51674bd4679c0365fb04d907c

                    For free sources Gregory Blount's site on ballads is an excellent
                    place to start:
                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                    This page in specific is quite useful:
                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                    As for songs I particularly like: "In a garden so green" is very
                    pretty and mostly period. (Early 1600s I think)
                    http://blowthyhorn.com/balladsProj/inAGardenSoGreen/Out.pdf

                    Yay singing!
                    -Jadzia

                    --