RE: [KWChoir] songs

  • Mary-florence Bartley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
      How about Heather Dale's CD, "Call the Names"?  or.. Hector's Red Album?
      marihannah

      Unconditional love
      nourishes all things
      without effort.

      Love life, live gratefully,

      Blessings and hugs,

      Mary-florence

      www.mary-flo.com

      To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
      From: corun@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000
      Subject: Re: [KWChoir] songs

      Murphy wrote:

      >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
      >thanks
      >-Murphy

      The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

      Corun

    • corun@medievalist.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
        Gwendolyn wrote:

        >Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax? I believe only 7
        >texts and 6 musical notations survive (from early 13th
        >century) - and the lyrics are remarkable as being mostly written
        >in the female voice. Also they are the only secular medieval
        >Galician verse for which the music is known. I only have copies of 2
        >or 3 myself. I'll have to look out for the rest of them...

        Ok, home now and just grabbed it off the bookshelf. This is the book
        of selections from the Cantigas de Amigo, at least one of which is by
        Codax. This particular translation from the Portuguese is by Barbara
        Fowler, University of North Carolina. Regrettably it only has lyrics
        and only in English, not the original Portuguese. I'd love to find
        the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

        ISBN for this book is 0-8078-2271-x for cloth covered hardback or
        0-8078-4574-4 for paperback.

        Corun
      • chestnutdragon@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "gerbing1189" <gerbing1189@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
          > thanks
          > -Murphy

          Murphy,

          There is a BRILLIANT acapella choral piece called: "O Magnum Mysterium" by Robert Shaw Chorale that is breathtaking. Very traditional, not really featuring a solo, but good to have on the list for great pieces. Take care!

          Cheris :)
        • chrissings@juno.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

            Of course Dowland is incredibly depressing...but still lovely.

            Arianna M.

            >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
            >thanks
            >-Murphy

            The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

            Corun

            Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.

          • gerbing1189
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

              > Im looking for vocal music. for a soprano voice
              > Murphy wrote:
              > >
              > >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
              >

              > The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
              > Corun
              >
              > Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
              >
              > Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
              >
              > If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.
              >
              > - Gwendolyn/Jennifer

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

                Corun wrote:
                I'd love to find
                the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

                Found a website:
                http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/bib_autor/codax/index.shtml

                with facsimilies and modern transcriptions of Martin Codax's 13th century cantigas de amigos.
                Enjoy -

                Gwendolyn/Jennifer
              • Beth Gurzler
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                  Avatar has published a book of "medieval songs and dances (11th-14th C.)" that are short, fun and easy to start off with singing and add harp on open fifth drones, or play on a variety of wind instruments as well.  It is self published but fairly easy to get.  I picked up my 2nd copy at the Boston Early Music Festival yesterday.  I think the early music shop of New England (vonHuene workshop) carries it.  Published by Al Cofrin, it contains seversal of the "Cantigas de Santa Maria" and Carmina Barana pieces among other things.

                  Have fun
                  Deonna

                  To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
                  From: corun@...
                  Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                  Murphy wrote:

                  >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                  >thanks
                  >-Murphy

                  The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                  Corun

                • Sarah Gerbing
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                    Cool I play the harp too

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
                    From: corun@medievalist. org
                    Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                    Murphy wrote:

                    >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                    >thanks
                    >-Murphy

                    The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                    Corun

                    #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->

                  • Monique Rio
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2009
                      Big Yes to Avatar's "Medieval Songs and Dances". Boulder Early Music
                      Shop (http://www.bems.com) sells it. Do a search for Cofrin and his
                      two books will show up.

                      Also BEMS has a selection of solo music too.
                      http://www.bems.com/music.html?q_c=55&bemssess=ff56b3c51674bd4679c0365fb04d907c

                      For free sources Gregory Blount's site on ballads is an excellent
                      place to start:
                      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                      This page in specific is quite useful:
                      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                      As for songs I particularly like: "In a garden so green" is very
                      pretty and mostly period. (Early 1600s I think)
                      http://blowthyhorn.com/balladsProj/inAGardenSoGreen/Out.pdf

                      Yay singing!
                      -Jadzia

                      --