Re: [KWChoir] songs

  • corun@medievalist.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
      Murphy wrote:

      >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
      >thanks
      >-Murphy

      The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

      Corun
    • Mary-florence Bartley
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
        How about Heather Dale's CD, "Call the Names"?  or.. Hector's Red Album?
        marihannah

        Unconditional love
        nourishes all things
        without effort.

        Love life, live gratefully,

        Blessings and hugs,

        Mary-florence

        www.mary-flo.com

        To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
        From: corun@...
        Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000
        Subject: Re: [KWChoir] songs

        Murphy wrote:

        >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
        >thanks
        >-Murphy

        The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

        Corun

      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
          Murphy wrote:

          >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?

          The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
          Corun

          Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.

          Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?

          If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.

          - Gwendolyn/Jennifer
        • corun@medievalist.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
            Gwendolyn wrote:

            >Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
            >
            >Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
            >
            >If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there
            >is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France
            >and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these
            >previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious
            >topics) and a few very early English songs.

            I admit I am not as familiar with the earlier songs off the top of my head. I have books, but they're at home, and one of those books is the Spanish Songs for a Friend which I really need to study more in depth.

            Corun
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
              A good place to start for easily accessible solo music is Noah Greenberg's books, most notably An Anthology of Elizabethan Lute Songs Madrigals and Rounds and An English Medieval and Renaissance Song Book: Part Songs and Sacred Music for One to Six Voices (though the latter has mostly choral pieces, it does have some solos in it too. For earlier pieces the Historical Anthology of Music (volume 1) is the place to go. I think it's out of print but you may be able to find it in your local college or city library, if only through Inter-Library Loan.

              They're both available through Amazon and not very expensive.

              Happy singing!

              Arianna

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                ________________________
                Corun wrote:

                I admit I am not as familiar with the earlier songs off the top of my head. I have books, but they're at home, and one of those books is the Spanish Songs for a Friend which I really need to study more in depth.

                __________________________________
                Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax? I believe only 7 texts and 6 musical notations survive (from early 13th century) - and the lyrics are remarkable as being mostly written in the female voice. Also they are the only secular medieval Galician verse for which the music is known. I only have copies of 2 or 3 myself. I'll have to look out for the rest of them...

                - Gwendolyn/Jennifer
              • corun@medievalist.org
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Gwendolyn wrote:

                  >Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax? I believe only 7
                  >texts and 6 musical notations survive (from early 13th
                  >century) - and the lyrics are remarkable as being mostly written
                  >in the female voice. Also they are the only secular medieval
                  >Galician verse for which the music is known. I only have copies of 2
                  >or 3 myself. I'll have to look out for the rest of them...

                  Ok, home now and just grabbed it off the bookshelf. This is the book
                  of selections from the Cantigas de Amigo, at least one of which is by
                  Codax. This particular translation from the Portuguese is by Barbara
                  Fowler, University of North Carolina. Regrettably it only has lyrics
                  and only in English, not the original Portuguese. I'd love to find
                  the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

                  ISBN for this book is 0-8078-2271-x for cloth covered hardback or
                  0-8078-4574-4 for paperback.

                  Corun
                • chestnutdragon@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                    --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "gerbing1189" <gerbing1189@...> wrote:

                    > I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                    > thanks
                    > -Murphy

                    Murphy,

                    There is a BRILLIANT acapella choral piece called: "O Magnum Mysterium" by Robert Shaw Chorale that is breathtaking. Very traditional, not really featuring a solo, but good to have on the list for great pieces. Take care!

                    Cheris :)
                  • chrissings@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

                      Of course Dowland is incredibly depressing...but still lovely.

                      Arianna M.

                      >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                      >thanks
                      >-Murphy

                      The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                      Corun

                      Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.

                    • gerbing1189
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

                        > Im looking for vocal music. for a soprano voice
                        > Murphy wrote:
                        > >
                        > >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                        >

                        > The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
                        > Corun
                        >
                        > Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
                        >
                        > Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
                        >
                        > If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.
                        >
                        > - Gwendolyn/Jennifer

                      • Jennifer Kobayashi
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

                          Corun wrote:
                          I'd love to find
                          the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

                          Found a website:
                          http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/bib_autor/codax/index.shtml

                          with facsimilies and modern transcriptions of Martin Codax's 13th century cantigas de amigos.
                          Enjoy -

                          Gwendolyn/Jennifer
                        • Beth Gurzler
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                            Avatar has published a book of "medieval songs and dances (11th-14th C.)" that are short, fun and easy to start off with singing and add harp on open fifth drones, or play on a variety of wind instruments as well.  It is self published but fairly easy to get.  I picked up my 2nd copy at the Boston Early Music Festival yesterday.  I think the early music shop of New England (vonHuene workshop) carries it.  Published by Al Cofrin, it contains seversal of the "Cantigas de Santa Maria" and Carmina Barana pieces among other things.

                            Have fun
                            Deonna

                            To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
                            From: corun@...
                            Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                            Murphy wrote:

                            >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                            >thanks
                            >-Murphy

                            The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                            Corun

                          • Sarah Gerbing
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                              Cool I play the harp too

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
                              From: corun@medievalist. org
                              Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                              Murphy wrote:

                              >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                              >thanks
                              >-Murphy

                              The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                              Corun

                              #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->

                            • Monique Rio
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 12, 2009
                                Big Yes to Avatar's "Medieval Songs and Dances". Boulder Early Music
                                Shop (http://www.bems.com) sells it. Do a search for Cofrin and his
                                two books will show up.

                                Also BEMS has a selection of solo music too.
                                http://www.bems.com/music.html?q_c=55&bemssess=ff56b3c51674bd4679c0365fb04d907c

                                For free sources Gregory Blount's site on ballads is an excellent
                                place to start:
                                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                                This page in specific is quite useful:
                                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                                As for songs I particularly like: "In a garden so green" is very
                                pretty and mostly period. (Early 1600s I think)
                                http://blowthyhorn.com/balladsProj/inAGardenSoGreen/Out.pdf

                                Yay singing!
                                -Jadzia

                                --