songs

  • gerbing1189
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
      I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
      thanks
      -Murphy
    • corun@medievalist.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
        Murphy wrote:

        >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
        >thanks
        >-Murphy

        The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

        Corun
      • Mary-florence Bartley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
          How about Heather Dale's CD, "Call the Names"?  or.. Hector's Red Album?
          marihannah

          Unconditional love
          nourishes all things
          without effort.

          Love life, live gratefully,

          Blessings and hugs,

          Mary-florence

          www.mary-flo.com

          To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
          From: corun@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000
          Subject: Re: [KWChoir] songs

          Murphy wrote:

          >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
          >thanks
          >-Murphy

          The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

          Corun

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
            Murphy wrote:

            >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?

            The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
            Corun

            Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.

            Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?

            If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.

            - Gwendolyn/Jennifer
          • corun@medievalist.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
              Gwendolyn wrote:

              >Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
              >
              >Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
              >
              >If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there
              >is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France
              >and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these
              >previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious
              >topics) and a few very early English songs.

              I admit I am not as familiar with the earlier songs off the top of my head. I have books, but they're at home, and one of those books is the Spanish Songs for a Friend which I really need to study more in depth.

              Corun
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                A good place to start for easily accessible solo music is Noah Greenberg's books, most notably An Anthology of Elizabethan Lute Songs Madrigals and Rounds and An English Medieval and Renaissance Song Book: Part Songs and Sacred Music for One to Six Voices (though the latter has mostly choral pieces, it does have some solos in it too. For earlier pieces the Historical Anthology of Music (volume 1) is the place to go. I think it's out of print but you may be able to find it in your local college or city library, if only through Inter-Library Loan.

                They're both available through Amazon and not very expensive.

                Happy singing!

                Arianna

              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                  ________________________
                  Corun wrote:

                  I admit I am not as familiar with the earlier songs off the top of my head. I have books, but they're at home, and one of those books is the Spanish Songs for a Friend which I really need to study more in depth.

                  __________________________________
                  Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax? I believe only 7 texts and 6 musical notations survive (from early 13th century) - and the lyrics are remarkable as being mostly written in the female voice. Also they are the only secular medieval Galician verse for which the music is known. I only have copies of 2 or 3 myself. I'll have to look out for the rest of them...

                  - Gwendolyn/Jennifer
                • corun@medievalist.org
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Gwendolyn wrote:

                    >Is this the "cantigas de amigo" by Martin Codax? I believe only 7
                    >texts and 6 musical notations survive (from early 13th
                    >century) - and the lyrics are remarkable as being mostly written
                    >in the female voice. Also they are the only secular medieval
                    >Galician verse for which the music is known. I only have copies of 2
                    >or 3 myself. I'll have to look out for the rest of them...

                    Ok, home now and just grabbed it off the bookshelf. This is the book
                    of selections from the Cantigas de Amigo, at least one of which is by
                    Codax. This particular translation from the Portuguese is by Barbara
                    Fowler, University of North Carolina. Regrettably it only has lyrics
                    and only in English, not the original Portuguese. I'd love to find
                    the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

                    ISBN for this book is 0-8078-2271-x for cloth covered hardback or
                    0-8078-4574-4 for paperback.

                    Corun
                  • chestnutdragon@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "gerbing1189" <gerbing1189@...> wrote:

                      > I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                      > thanks
                      > -Murphy

                      Murphy,

                      There is a BRILLIANT acapella choral piece called: "O Magnum Mysterium" by Robert Shaw Chorale that is breathtaking. Very traditional, not really featuring a solo, but good to have on the list for great pieces. Take care!

                      Cheris :)
                    • chrissings@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

                        Of course Dowland is incredibly depressing...but still lovely.

                        Arianna M.

                        >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                        >thanks
                        >-Murphy

                        The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                        Corun

                        Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.

                      • gerbing1189
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

                          > Im looking for vocal music. for a soprano voice
                          > Murphy wrote:
                          > >
                          > >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                          >

                          > The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely.
                          > Corun
                          >
                          > Corun's choices are excellent, especially for English lyrics.
                          >
                          > Are you looking for vocal or instrumental solo music?
                          >
                          > If you are willing to venture into earlier periods and other languages there is a vocal solo repertoire for many areas in the 12-13th centuries: France and Provencal: troubadour and trouvere songs, Germany: Minnesinger, (these previous are secular) Spain - cantigas, Italy-laudi, (these have religious topics) and a few very early English songs.
                          >
                          > - Gwendolyn/Jennifer

                        • Jennifer Kobayashi
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009

                            Corun wrote:
                            I'd love to find
                            the music to go with these if anyone has any info.

                            Found a website:
                            http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/bib_autor/codax/index.shtml

                            with facsimilies and modern transcriptions of Martin Codax's 13th century cantigas de amigos.
                            Enjoy -

                            Gwendolyn/Jennifer
                          • Beth Gurzler
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                              Avatar has published a book of "medieval songs and dances (11th-14th C.)" that are short, fun and easy to start off with singing and add harp on open fifth drones, or play on a variety of wind instruments as well.  It is self published but fairly easy to get.  I picked up my 2nd copy at the Boston Early Music Festival yesterday.  I think the early music shop of New England (vonHuene workshop) carries it.  Published by Al Cofrin, it contains seversal of the "Cantigas de Santa Maria" and Carmina Barana pieces among other things.

                              Have fun
                              Deonna

                              To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
                              From: corun@...
                              Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                              Murphy wrote:

                              >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                              >thanks
                              >-Murphy

                              The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                              Corun

                            • Sarah Gerbing
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 11, 2009
                                Cool I play the harp too

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
                                From: corun@medievalist. org
                                Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:41:19 +0000

                                Murphy wrote:

                                >I am looking for solo type songs that would be good for the sca. does anyone know where I could find some, or does anyone have any songs that would do well?
                                >thanks
                                >-Murphy

                                The most readily available will be anything by Dowland, Campion or Morely. Any of the 16th c. lute songs are quite nice for solo performance. The most obvious that springs to mind is Dowland's "Come Again".

                                Corun

                                #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->

                              • Monique Rio
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 12, 2009
                                  Big Yes to Avatar's "Medieval Songs and Dances". Boulder Early Music
                                  Shop (http://www.bems.com) sells it. Do a search for Cofrin and his
                                  two books will show up.

                                  Also BEMS has a selection of solo music too.
                                  http://www.bems.com/music.html?q_c=55&bemssess=ff56b3c51674bd4679c0365fb04d907c

                                  For free sources Gregory Blount's site on ballads is an excellent
                                  place to start:
                                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/

                                  This page in specific is quite useful:
                                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                                  As for songs I particularly like: "In a garden so green" is very
                                  pretty and mostly period. (Early 1600s I think)
                                  http://blowthyhorn.com/balladsProj/inAGardenSoGreen/Out.pdf

                                  Yay singing!
                                  -Jadzia

                                  --