Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir for 2009

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
      Thanks for thinking about our theme, Susannah!

      I assume you mean "The Last Words of Copernicus?" It's an interesting idea, but this song appears to be from the Sacred Harp shape note tradition, which is 18th - 19th century American in origin. The Known World Choir does medieval and renaissance music, so I'm afraid this piece won't fit in our time period. But I hope that won't stop you from singing with us, or from suggesting other pieces.

      Thanks!

      Arianna

    • Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
        I suppose that means Also sprach Zarathustra is out...

        On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
        Thanks for thinking about our theme, Susannah!

        I assume you mean "The Last Words of Copernicus?" It's an interesting idea, but this song appears to be from the Sacred Harp shape note tradition, which is 18th - 19th century American in origin. The Known World Choir does medieval and renaissance music, so I'm afraid this piece won't fit in our time period. But I hope that won't stop you from singing with us, or from suggesting other pieces.

        Thanks!

        - Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
          >I suppose that means Also sprach Zarathustra is out...

          Afraid so. I know, I'm such a killjoy...  :-)

          Arianna

          P.S. Close the pod bay doors, Dave.  Daisy, Daisy.... (hee-hee)

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
            Arianna -
            Astronomy is a great theme!

            Some additional possibilities:
            Orazio Vecchi: O sole, o stelle, o luna (6 parts: SSA T(or A) T(or A) B )
            Orazio Vecchi: Mentre mia stella (6 parts: SSA T(or A) T(or A) B )
            Stella Splendens from Llibre Vermell
            Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (How Brightly Beams the Morning Star) composed by Philipp Nicolai, with a big fancy arrangement by Michael Praetorius,
            Caligo terrae scinditur/Virgo Maria, filia/Tenor an Anon. 14th cen. English Petronian motet (Oxford Anthology of Music: Medieval Music)
            Guillame Dufay: Cunditor alme siderum
            F. Pilkington: Thanks Gentle Moon
            (and from the Oxford Book of Italian Madrigals:)
            Monteverdi: Ecco mormorar l'onde (1590) SSATB (about the dawn...)
            Marenzio: Che fa oggi il mio sole (1580) SSATB (What doth today my sun..)

            That's what I've got at the moment. Sounds like fun; I hope I can be there!

            - Gwendolyn of Middlemarch aka Jennifer

            --- On Mon, 12/8/08, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:

            Greetings Known World Singers!

            After a bit of brainstorming, we have a theme for next Pennsic: Astronomy!
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
              Great suggestions!  Thank so much. And I'd love to have as much of your family singing with us as are willing. :-)

              Arianna

              --- On Tue, 12/9/08, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
              Astronomy is a great theme!

              Some additional possibilities:
              .
              _,___

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
                Two more possibilities:

                Orienti Oriens: School of St Martial of Limoges, Paris, Bibliotheque Nationale, Ms Lat. 3719, Central Corpus

                Sol occasum nesciens (49 in Musica Britannica Medieval Carols)

                -Jennifer