Re:Pennsic 38 plans

  • Gale Willingham
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
      Re.Opening Ceremonies- (one other thought) -- IF a small number of people were to want to practice one or two well known war songs that many at Pennsic might know and incorporate the idea of trying to shaghai crowd participants to join in, it might provide an opportunity to advertise KWC.

      ***************

      Re. Midnight Madness- If we were meeting in/near one or other of the merchant areas and not doing extensive "hiking,"  I'm game...  Of course, I could always try it anyway - and if I fall off, I fall off.  Also, for these extra "early"  performances, perhaps a shorter song list.

      - Greetings, Turgiua Tredhard

    • Elizabeth Dowling
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2008
        Yes...
        Although I really prefer the closing and opening ceremonies, I'll do it
        for the reasons you laid out. At opening ceremonies there is always
        the heat or rain, and everything is martial. At closing ceremonies so
        many people are already leaving. It's just that the choir is competing
        with the fire-eaters at Midnight Madness, and there is a certain
        ambiance of, well, selling, and noisy crowds with little room; and some
        places to stand and perform might actually be "booked" before-hand. I
        remember talking to a performer that was far away from merchants (and
        audience) saying that the other places were already assigned. But,
        there are also a good number of people who just go out to see
        performances, and might want to see some Period music, so it makes
        sense, if we can get a good spot.
        Elizabeth

        Karen Kasper wrote:

        > Greetings KWC Pennsic Choir members!
        >
        > Thank you to everyone who answered my request for input! It was very
        > interesting to see what everyone is thinking.
        >
        > There was a wide variety of opinions on rehearsal times. I'll have to
        > do a formal tabulation to see what the consensus was (if any) but I
        > think we're likely to remain with afternoon (as opposed to morning)
        > rehearsals. I understand that the choir requires a substantial time
        > commitment, but I don't see any way around that if we want to provide
        > a quality performance - which I know you all do!
        >
        > It sounds like a fair number of people would like to perform more than
        > once. I can certainly understand why - after all that work, it seems a
        > shame to only have one concert!
        >
        > For venues, a few people liked Closing Ceremonies, and some liked
        > Opening Ceremonies. Closing ceremonies is a reasonable option (and it
        > generally takes place in the barn, not on the field) but of course
        > it's at the tail end of Pennsic and not terribly well attended. I
        > don't know about you, but by the end of the week my voice is sometimes
        > gone... :-)
        >
        > Opening ceremonies is appealing from an exposure standpoint, but has
        > some fairly major obstacles. For starters, it happens very early in
        > the war, so most of the choir will have had few (or no!) rehearsals.
        > There's also the issue of acquiring approval from the various
        > kingdoms, who have their own agendas that don't tend to include choral
        > music. While I understand the desire to reach such a wide audience, I
        > think the logistics are rather daunting.
        >
        > The other popular suggestion was Midnight Madness. While this has the
        > drawback of potentially having to read music in the dark, I think it
        > is the most beneficial to the choir. It happens the day before our
        > concert, so we will be pretty well rehearsed by then. It gives us an
        > opportunity to "prime the pump" by exposing shoppers to a taste of our
        > music and, hopefully, luring some of them to our Thursday concert. We
        > can also choose a time and place convenient to most of the choir
        > members, without having to get approval from anyone else. To mitigate
        > the "singing in the dark" problem, I suggest choir members look into
        > acquiring battery-powered electric candlesticks. I've used these in my
        > tent and my kids' tent for years, since they provide light without
        > risk of fire. You can usually pick them up cheap right after Christmas
        > at craft stores or JoAnn Fabrics. :-)
        >
        > So, how many people would be willing and available to sing a piece or
        > two at Midnight Madness?
        >
        > Arianna of Wynthrope
        > Director, Pennsic Choir 38

      • Constance Swanson
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2008
          My two cents: Why not sing at sunset to launch Midnight Madness?  A goodly number of people congregate in the food court and near the barn around supper time.  Pennsic sunsets can be spiffy and think what a backdrop for choir publicity shots. That mitigates the visibility problem and doesn't cut into shopping/partying time.
          OK, I confess I get sleepy when the sun goes down, but I have never been a night owl.This is a purely selfish suggestion although I do  sing better earlier in the day.
          Svea