Re: Requesting your ideas for next year's Pennsic Choir

  • Gale Willingham
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
      Alison Winter's idea:
      "but I also just
      had an image of the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme (the
      original simple but scary martial song) and then confronting the
      assembled military groups and demanding their tenors and basses."

      LOL, shanghai-ing tenors and basses from the audience.. sounds like fun...  I think some sort of "guerrilla choir" (whether they be made up of KWC members or not) should do just that.  But it would involve making sure the 2009 Pensic royals, Sgts., and heads of non-SCA troops (if one were to wish to approach them) were aware.  At the bare minimum, the Host Kingdom would need to know.

      In searching for the tune and lyrics, I found the sheet music here:
      http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
      I'm not sure I'm familiar with this particular piece, and haven't found the lyrics to it yet (just a lot of references to places it was performed).  Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

      This probably varies from Shire to Shire, but I haven't encountered any actual singing locally.  There are references to inactive folk who apparently used to sing.  Some of the filk pieces I've seen on the bard sites look interesting, but many tunes are unfamiliar or tunes I've forgotten.  Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

      See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts. Check It Out!
    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:

        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        > I found the sheet music here:
        http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        English
        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]