Re: Advance practice recordings

  • hotcrossbuns_40502
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19 11:03 AM
      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, jryan@... wrote:
      > Something like the attached? I've been experimenting with my little
      > secondhand recorder/mixer and different instrument combinations,
      trying to
      > get something to sing with in the car, where of course I can't be
      looking
      > at the sheet music at all. The TLVictoria O Quam Gloriosa was the
      only
      > one I got around to recording before the trip to Pennsic, though,
      and
      > after all that I wasn't able to stay in the Choir due to other
      > commitments. On Packing Day before leaving for Pennsic I only got
      as far
      > as individual lines against the other 3 parts in the background,
      but on
      > other pieces I've been trying different ways to put pairs of parts
      > together on contrasting instruments so you can follow either one
      > accurately even when they cross each other or echo each other at
      the same
      > octave. But at least, I do like having a single part showcased
      against
      > the other parts in the background, rather than all alone out of all
      > context, especially for when that part has rests. I haven't fully
      got the
      > hang of it yet. I also can't manage perfection on the instruments,
      > compared to a midi file generated from a typed score, but oh well.
      >
      > My email handler can't attach much at a time, here are 3 samples.
      Alto
      > without and with the words spoken with it (I wasn't about to try to
      record
      > myself trying to sing!) and last the other three parts played, with
      the
      > alto just plinked; if you can hear it faintly it can guide you when
      you
      > want to sing it against the other 3 parts.
      >
      > Alison Winter

      Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
      Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." But
      thanks for the thought... The idea of samples was certainly what was
      in mind. Poor (musically) illiterate Turgiua cannot even guess at
      what tunes might be by looking at pieces of sheet music. I see in the
      files section that there were apparently sound samples of some
      previous performances. There are some online sites for temporarily
      uploading and storing sound files (Rapidshare, Megaupload). We have
      almost a year until next Pennsic though.
    • jryan@beld.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19 12:43 PM
        > Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
        > Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." But
        > thanks for the thought... The idea of samples was certainly what was
        > in mind. Poor (musically) illiterate Turgiua cannot even guess at
        > what tunes might be by looking at pieces of sheet music. I see in the
        > files section that there were apparently sound samples of some
        > previous performances. There are some online sites for temporarily
        > uploading and storing sound files (Rapidshare, Megaupload). We have
        > almost a year until next Pennsic though.

        Oh, dear! The copy of the message that came back to me had the
        attachments intact, and the three mp3 files played on my machine, the same
        one I sent them from, just by clicking on them. In the copy I got, there
        was nothing saying not stored anywhere. I can puzzle out tunes from sheet
        music, but the behavior of these machines is beyond me. I suppose the
        problem could have been in my machine, or your machine or any of who knows
        how many in between! And I've never succeeded in converting a midi file
        to an mp3 file either. And I only resorted to using my MP3 player when I
        couldn't get my .wav files burned onto CD's as I wanted them!
        Alison, clueless
      • corun@medievalist.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19 12:51 PM
          Alison wrote:

          >From: jryan@... [mailto:jryan@...]
          >Subject: Re: [KWChoir] Re: Advance practice recordings
          >
          >> Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
          >> Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." [SNIP]
          >>

          >Oh, dear! The copy of the message that came back to me had the
          >attachments intact, and the three mp3 files played on my machine, the same
          >one I sent them from, just by clicking on them. In the copy I got, there
          >was nothing saying not stored anywhere. I can puzzle out tunes from sheet
          >music, but the behavior of these machines is beyond me. I suppose the
          >problem could have been in my machine, or your machine or any of who knows
          >how many in between! And I've never succeeded in converting a midi file
          >to an mp3 file either. And I only resorted to using my MP3 player when I
          >couldn't get my .wav files burned onto CD's as I wanted them!
          >Alison, clueless

          Some firewalls or even ISP block files, especially if they're large files. May I suggest that rather than sending out files to everyone on the list it would be better to upload to the Files area on the Yahoo site for this list. That way everyone who wants them has access and everyone who doesn't want them doesn't have to have them taking up space in their email box until they can get home from work to delete them. Sometimes this can send an overstuffed inbox over the limit and new emails won't be stored for lack of space.

          Corun