Re: [KWChoir] Requesting your ideas for next year's Pennsic Choir

  • June Whalen
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 19, 2008

      Greetings Arianna,

      Having been in the KWC only twice - and with 2 very different type of directors - I would be hard pressed to say what works best .....  But I will attempt to answer your querry

      Sorry to be chiming in late. That's what I get for spending the weekend away from my email and then having a time-pressure project at work yesterday...
      I have been reading the posts about additional performances, changing rehearsal times, and the like with great interest. I would very much like to know what the choir members think about these ideas. I'm open to doing whatever the choir would like next year.
      So, how about a little poll?
      1. How many of you would like to do more than one performance? Understand that logistics will play a big part here - if we can't get enough people (particularly enough tenors and basses) it will be hard to arrange additional performances) .
      I would enjoy additional performances - say a couple of "showcase" pieces - to whet the appetite for more.  Something simple and yet ear catching - something that sticks in the mind.
      2. If you would like to do another performance, where/when would you recommend? Midnight Madness and Closing Ceremononies were suggested.  I can understand why the Queens' Tea wasn't so interested - unlike instruments, choirs don't make for great background music, and the great ladies mostly want to talk and get to know each other there. Any other ideas?
      Midnight madness, closing ceremonies, - maybe the Queens Tea at the very beginning - a piece or two while they are just arriving - and then have the instrumentatists take over.  Maybe at the Start of Court while people are filing in?
      3. On the topic of rehearsal times, please indicate your order of preference for the following time slots:
      - 10am to noon
      - noon to 2pm
      - 1pm to 3pm
      - 2pm to 4pm
      - 3pm to 5 pm
      - 4pm to 6pm
      Truthfully - any of these would work for me.  I tend to fit the rest of war around Choir/troll/first aid point and the such.
      How soon would practice start - I will be there the entire 2 weeks.

      4. Any suggestions for a theme?
      Love the Chants (but understand they are usuallymen only)  Could do the Silver Swan.  Not sure what else would be considered.
      Also, I'd like to reassure everyone that PDFs, MIDIs and MP3s of the music for next Pennsic will be placed on Yahoo group in plenty of time for everyone to learn it, by March at the latest.
      Thanks for your input. Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions or suggestions about next year's performance!
      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Director, Pennsic 38 Choir

    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:
        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        > I found the sheet music here:
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]