Advance practice recordings

  • jryan@beld.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2008
      > Turgiua Tredhard be so glad to have participated in the Known World
      > Choir for Pennsic 37 and hopes to return next year. Hopefully a strong
      > alto will slip the musically illiterate Turgiua previews in .mp3 format
      > to be installed on a .mp3 box for more practice beforehand :)

      Something like the attached? I've been experimenting with my little
      secondhand recorder/mixer and different instrument combinations, trying to
      get something to sing with in the car, where of course I can't be looking
      at the sheet music at all. The TLVictoria O Quam Gloriosa was the only
      one I got around to recording before the trip to Pennsic, though, and
      after all that I wasn't able to stay in the Choir due to other
      commitments. On Packing Day before leaving for Pennsic I only got as far
      as individual lines against the other 3 parts in the background, but on
      other pieces I've been trying different ways to put pairs of parts
      together on contrasting instruments so you can follow either one
      accurately even when they cross each other or echo each other at the same
      octave. But at least, I do like having a single part showcased against
      the other parts in the background, rather than all alone out of all
      context, especially for when that part has rests. I haven't fully got the
      hang of it yet. I also can't manage perfection on the instruments,
      compared to a midi file generated from a typed score, but oh well.

      My email handler can't attach much at a time, here are 3 samples. Alto
      without and with the words spoken with it (I wasn't about to try to record
      myself trying to sing!) and last the other three parts played, with the
      alto just plinked; if you can hear it faintly it can guide you when you
      want to sing it against the other 3 parts.

      Alison Winter
    • hotcrossbuns_40502
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, jryan@... wrote:
        > Something like the attached? I've been experimenting with my little
        > secondhand recorder/mixer and different instrument combinations,
        trying to
        > get something to sing with in the car, where of course I can't be
        looking
        > at the sheet music at all. The TLVictoria O Quam Gloriosa was the
        only
        > one I got around to recording before the trip to Pennsic, though,
        and
        > after all that I wasn't able to stay in the Choir due to other
        > commitments. On Packing Day before leaving for Pennsic I only got
        as far
        > as individual lines against the other 3 parts in the background,
        but on
        > other pieces I've been trying different ways to put pairs of parts
        > together on contrasting instruments so you can follow either one
        > accurately even when they cross each other or echo each other at
        the same
        > octave. But at least, I do like having a single part showcased
        against
        > the other parts in the background, rather than all alone out of all
        > context, especially for when that part has rests. I haven't fully
        got the
        > hang of it yet. I also can't manage perfection on the instruments,
        > compared to a midi file generated from a typed score, but oh well.
        >
        > My email handler can't attach much at a time, here are 3 samples.
        Alto
        > without and with the words spoken with it (I wasn't about to try to
        record
        > myself trying to sing!) and last the other three parts played, with
        the
        > alto just plinked; if you can hear it faintly it can guide you when
        you
        > want to sing it against the other 3 parts.
        >
        > Alison Winter

        Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
        Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." But
        thanks for the thought... The idea of samples was certainly what was
        in mind. Poor (musically) illiterate Turgiua cannot even guess at
        what tunes might be by looking at pieces of sheet music. I see in the
        files section that there were apparently sound samples of some
        previous performances. There are some online sites for temporarily
        uploading and storing sound files (Rapidshare, Megaupload). We have
        almost a year until next Pennsic though.
      • jryan@beld.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2008
          > Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
          > Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." But
          > thanks for the thought... The idea of samples was certainly what was
          > in mind. Poor (musically) illiterate Turgiua cannot even guess at
          > what tunes might be by looking at pieces of sheet music. I see in the
          > files section that there were apparently sound samples of some
          > previous performances. There are some online sites for temporarily
          > uploading and storing sound files (Rapidshare, Megaupload). We have
          > almost a year until next Pennsic though.

          Oh, dear! The copy of the message that came back to me had the
          attachments intact, and the three mp3 files played on my machine, the same
          one I sent them from, just by clicking on them. In the copy I got, there
          was nothing saying not stored anywhere. I can puzzle out tunes from sheet
          music, but the behavior of these machines is beyond me. I suppose the
          problem could have been in my machine, or your machine or any of who knows
          how many in between! And I've never succeeded in converting a midi file
          to an mp3 file either. And I only resorted to using my MP3 player when I
          couldn't get my .wav files burned onto CD's as I wanted them!
          Alison, clueless
        • corun@medievalist.org
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2008
            Alison wrote:

            >From: jryan@... [mailto:jryan@...]
            >Subject: Re: [KWChoir] Re: Advance practice recordings
            >
            >> Turgiua does not see an option to download samples in the post...
            >> Next to all the attachments were the words "(not stored)." [SNIP]
            >>

            >Oh, dear! The copy of the message that came back to me had the
            >attachments intact, and the three mp3 files played on my machine, the same
            >one I sent them from, just by clicking on them. In the copy I got, there
            >was nothing saying not stored anywhere. I can puzzle out tunes from sheet
            >music, but the behavior of these machines is beyond me. I suppose the
            >problem could have been in my machine, or your machine or any of who knows
            >how many in between! And I've never succeeded in converting a midi file
            >to an mp3 file either. And I only resorted to using my MP3 player when I
            >couldn't get my .wav files burned onto CD's as I wanted them!
            >Alison, clueless

            Some firewalls or even ISP block files, especially if they're large files. May I suggest that rather than sending out files to everyone on the list it would be better to upload to the Files area on the Yahoo site for this list. That way everyone who wants them has access and everyone who doesn't want them doesn't have to have them taking up space in their email box until they can get home from work to delete them. Sometimes this can send an overstuffed inbox over the limit and new emails won't be stored for lack of space.

            Corun