Re: [KWChoir] Re: Home from War

  • Elizabeth Dowling
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 15, 2008
      In the past, the choir sang for some courts, but that was when East had
      its court on Wednesday, and we didn't sing the whole concert, and when
      Middle had a sympathetic queen. However, since there are so few days to
      rehearse, sometimes it worked and sometimes there were derailments, or
      too few members able to attend these events. Although most people are
      present on Friday, the choir includes many people from far distant lands
      who must start their journeys home early. It would certainly be a
      wonderful gesture if the choir could sing at closing ceremonies on
      Friday, although not many gentles come to that. It's a shame that this
      year there were (at least) three courts on Thursday, when the choir has
      always performed.

      I didn't have much energy this year (and am grateful that I was able to
      sing at least), but it might also be fun for small groups to entertain
      various camps with some songs... I know that an entertainment group sang
      for drinks this year, going from camp to camp. Period music is much
      harder to do than unison songs, but well worth it.
      Elizabeth

      Terri Garvey wrote:

      > Greetings, All!
      >
      > Forgive me if this meets with massive disapproval, but I would like to
      > perform the concert more than once. Don't throw things at your
      > monitor, I'm long gone by now. Missed Me! After all the work we put
      > in, to not be able to invite their Majesties Konrad and Brenwen, whom
      > I'd retained for before and during the War, because the
      > concert conflicted with East Kingdom Court was disappointing, to say
      > the least. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of other conflicts,
      > and I know they can't all be resolved, but another show (or two) would
      > go a long way.
      >
      > I'm sure there are reasons why this may not be a good idea, and I can
      > usually see both sides of an issue, but other than scheduling the
      > pavillion or finding another location, I'm not seeing a downside here.
      > Like I said, forgive me if I'm misguided. Your thoughts, beyond "What
      > are you, nuts!" would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > I had an absolutely outstanding time singing with all of you, and
      > Erlan was pure fun! I can't wait until next year!
      >
      > Yours in Service,
      >
      > Tessa the Amnesiac

    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:

        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        English
        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]