Re: [KWChoir] Re: Home from War

  • Elizabeth Dowling
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 14, 2008
      My 2 cents... I'm used to acapella choirs that do not use keyboards, or
      recorders. At least somebody who is a section leader should sing a
      passage in the voice range, relying on recorder or other instrument only
      if there is a question of accidentals or key. Part of the Medieval and
      Renaissance experience is to sing the music the way it was sung; and the
      proof is in the short time it took to learn the parts. Keyboard seems
      to be a help, but it doesn't sing or breathe. Yes, I would have liked
      to have the music with more weeks ahead of time, so that those who are
      not as steady could have some time to learn it. I was very grateful to
      all those people who chose to do solos... my difficulty is the ability
      to spit out words in an unfamiliar language, and we would never have
      known that everybody had only been singing those parts for a few days.
      I'm looking forward to next year.
      Elizabeth

      > The only thing I can think of to help in future years (besides better
      > pre-War practise on our parts) is to have a keyboard available to hear
      > the parts and harmonies as we are learning them. I realize I'm
      > biased, being brought up on piano lessons, but my limited ear doesn't
      > hear notes as well on a woodwind. (Yes - recorders are undoubtedly
      > more period, but having written music for all the singers and in
      > binders no less - anachronistic horrors! *wink*)

    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:

        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        English
        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]