Re: Home from War

  • saraxxxvi
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 14, 2008
      I agree with the earlier comments about the quality of the
      Spanish-singing soloists - you gentles put yourselves forward to
      excellent effect! Maybe next year, if I do a better job learning my
      choral parts at home before departing for War, I can hope to pipe up
      and volunteer for something.

      Another thing that impressed terrificly was the quartet piece in the
      middle of the performance. Each of you stepped up to the plate on
      your individual parts and particularly in the blending. It sounded
      like you'd been practising for weeks instead of a couple of days. I
      had to scoop my jaw up from the risers before starting the next piece!

      Erlan, I truly enjoyed your 'teaching style' of choir direction and
      unfailing encouragement as we choristers struggled to learn our parts
      (we know who we are). The fact that it came together so well on
      performance night is a tribute to your capabilities as a director and
      as an emcee.

      The only thing I can think of to help in future years (besides better
      pre-War practise on our parts) is to have a keyboard available to hear
      the parts and harmonies as we are learning them. I realize I'm
      biased, being brought up on piano lessons, but my limited ear doesn't
      hear notes as well on a woodwind. (Yes - recorders are undoubtedly
      more period, but having written music for all the singers and in
      binders no less - anachronistic horrors! *wink*)

      I had a fantastic time again in the Known World Choir and heartily
      recommend it to any singer who might like to be surrounded by and
      contribute to beautiful, sacred early harmonies!

      Sara LeGard
      KWC, Pennsics XXXVI & XXXVII

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "daggett42" <daggett42@...> wrote:
      > I'm back to NY. Safe and Sound. Still living in the dream however!
      > Thank you everyone.
      > OK... now... how about some coments from the listening audience or the
      > singers????? let folks who weren't able to come to war this year...
      > have an insider view!
      > Wow
      > erlan
    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:
        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        > I found the sheet music here:
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]