Re: [KWChoir] Re: Home from War

  • Elizabeth Dowling
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 12, 2008
      You're not a Laurel after 20 years of Known World Choir? (And you don't
      sit on your laurels; you teach.) Yes, it is very difficult to be a
      Performance Laurel.

      My grandson would still be young for a children's choir since he is too
      young to read, unless he could hear a recording of the selections long
      before Pennsic. He already sings. I would guess at any age, children's
      choir rehearsals would have to be short, and the children would have to
      hear the music before Pennsic. The first year will be the hardest. I
      think it is a great idea, but it will have to be coordinated with all
      the other children's activities.
      Elizabeth

      erlannordenskald wrote:

      > [snip]
      > My Laurel was sitting in the audience, and she attended a few
      > rehearsals, to see how I did and all that. Some coments from her...
      > were very positive. In the East, there's not too many folks that are
      > attempting to get a Laurel in what I do, so it's rough to try and
      > validate .....it's not like a piece of clothing that can be examined
      > or a wooden box that can be admired.... in performance practice,
      > unless you are there... the "moment" is gone. Mistress Deonna
      > (erlan's Laurel) was very impressed with the choir, the music
      > selection and the overall performance. That made me really proud and
      > happy.
      >

      > [snip]
      >
      > NOW... I've had a request to organize a children's choir.... for next
      > year's war... any takers............I've been working out the details
      > with Mistress Ardenia... the Youth Services Co-ord. Let me know if
      > anyone is interested in taking this task on...
      >
      > Erlan, your very proud director...Pennsic 37

    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:

        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        English
        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]