Re: [KWChoir] Re: Home from War

  • marcia plavcan
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 12, 2008
      As a new member of the Pennsic Choir, I have to say I enjoyed the experience. The music was beautiful and we all worked very hard. It is difficult to get that kind of music together in such a short time. Thank you so much Erlan.

      Marcia

      erlannordenskald <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:
      ONe of the challenges I found this year was trying to keep a balance
      with the 4 parts when it was clearly almost impossible to physically
      do so. We topped out at 42 voices with less than 1/4 being tenor's and
      basses combnied.
      Logistically, it was rough keeping the altos and sopranos strong
      enough yet soft enough to be able to voice out the bass lines in
      particular. I was blessed however with an amazing bass section. when
      I look up and seen certain familiar faces... and then hear new voices
      and think 'OMG, it's going to WORK'....... ...I can sit back and try
      and create a little more music out of the music....

      Finding a perfect balance is never easy. Since it's Pennsic and people
      wander in and out based on their class/fighting and personal
      schedules, making that committment is rough.

      Back in my earlier days, it was pre-registration only, NO walk-ins and
      only those who could read and follow renaissance music.

      I have encouraged other directors, myself included to move away from
      that, yes to pre-registering, that helps in music selection and
      planning, but allowing walk-ins no matter what the voicing. Keep the
      sessions running more like a class... teaching about the music, the
      text, the performance practice and then having the actual performance
      come out of that... even if a person isn't really a strong singer, or
      can't read a note of the music... they above all should be allowed the
      opportunity to experience renaissance vocal music!

      My Laurel was sitting in the audience, and she attended a few
      rehearsals, to see how I did and all that. Some coments from her...
      were very positive. In the East, there's not too many folks that are
      attempting to get a Laurel in what I do, so it's rough to try and
      validate .....it's not like a piece of clothing that can be examined
      or a wooden box that can be admired.... in performance practice,
      unless you are there... the "moment" is gone. Mistress Deonna
      (erlan's Laurel) was very impressed with the choir, the music
      selection and the overall performance. That made me really proud and
      happy.

      I'm glad that I had the opportunity to direct the group again and look
      forward to the next time.

      Right now, my plans are to be the Pennsic University Chancellor for
      Pennsic 39... I am up for the job, so I will not be directing the
      Choir again until at least 40.....or so...
      Next year, I will not be at war.
      :(

      NOW... I've had a request to organize a children's choir.... for next
      year's war... any takers...... ......I've been working out the details
      with Mistress Ardenia... the Youth Services Co-ord. Let me know if
      anyone is interested in taking this task on...

      Erlan, your very proud director...Pennsic 37

    • Brent Chivers
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Gale Willingham <try2regale@...> wrote:

        > Alison Winter's idea: "the choir marching in singing l'Homme Arme
        (the original simple but scary martial song)"
        http://www.darklands.net/music/music.old.3.shtml
        > Anyone know where lyrics to this are?

        Google and Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'homme_arm%C3%A9

        Original French
        L'homme, l'homme, l'homme armé,
        L'homme armé
        L'homme armé doibt on doubter, doibt on doubter.
        On a fait partout crier,
        Que chascun se viengne armer
        D'un haubregon de fer.

        English
        The man, the man, the armed man,
        The armed man
        The armed man should be feared, should be feared.
        Everywhere it has been proclaimed
        That each man shall arm himself
        With a coat of iron mail.

        [And for the amusement of wardrivers in my neighborhood, "LhommeArme"
        is my WiFi SSID.]