Re: The Alto Challenge

  • Summer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
      And then there are people like me, who have lost some of our highest
      notes simply due to getting older and/or not having used them all that
      much in recent years... *sigh* Oh, well, I did get some notes into the
      other part of my range that weren't there before, so I suppose it's a
      trade-off!

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

      > Well, a few points:
      <snippage for length - no need for me to repeat everything - SS>
      > 2. There are a number of women who, for whatever health reasons,
      > literally can no longer reach the high notes. I had a friend who was
      > prescribed a medication which permanently lowered her voice to tenor,
      > and she had been soprano. Such persons are not "lazy" sopranos. If a
      > person cannot reach the high notes, or doesn't know how, it could
      damage
      > the voice to try; it helps to relax and sing mentally "above" the notes.

      <more snippage for length>
    • June Whalen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2008
        Greetings one and all -

        I have in fact registered as a Soprano at Pennsic 36 and again this year.

        I can hit those really raftery notes - but would love company from such a high altitude!

        Meitheamh

        From: Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@deers- cry.com>
        To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 10:51 AM

        Are you saying that there aren't enough sopranos?
        Elizabeth

        Terri Garvey wrote:

        > You may tell those good gentles that:
        >

        > Once upon a time, at least one Alto you know was placed in that
        > section early in her career by a director who needed singers who
        > would hold their own part and not default to the melody. In High
        > School, she sang Tenor, as there was a dirth of male Tenors in her
        > school, all the while longing to sing Soprano, sure she could hit
        > those high notes. Finally given the chance to choose her own voice
        > part, she found that she could indeed hit those high notes, she also
        > found the Soprano lines to be less interesting and challenging than
        > the Alto. So, here she is, preparing to sing Alto in the Known World
        > Choir, and generally unfamiliar with the music. Thus, with the level
        > of challenge not an issue, she is willing to sing Soprano if need be.
        > Perhaps it is her time to soar once again. The End

      • Susan Stoltze
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008

          Ummm, that would be me.

          - Susanna Merrybegot