Re: Altos and Sopranos

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
      A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
      of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
      of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
      drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.

      Diane

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

      > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
      that I
      > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
      > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
      very
      > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I know a
      > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
      > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and earlier
      > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano parts,
      > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
      > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part anyway,
      > but it's too low for me now.
      > Elizabeth
    • Summer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
        I sang alto in middle school, then started singing soprano in high
        school. Sang 1st Soprano in 10th grade, and acquired a private voice
        teacher at the end of that year who set about training me in that
        particular range. The director of my school's a capella choir moved me
        to 2nd Soprano at the beginning of 11th grade but my private teacher
        prevailed upon him to place me back with the firsts because she was
        trying to help me develop my upper range and wanted me to be using it
        daily in choir. So I sang 1st in a capella and 2nd in our after school
        madrigals group (same director). Funny thing is, I could still sing
        Alto 1 and Alto 2 if I tried, but I had this oddly-sized break area in
        the middle of my range where I just couldn't keep my voice completely
        even in timbre. Just a few notes that were difficult. I finally got it
        mostly straightened out (thanks, Mamma P!) but now my whole range has
        shifted. I can still do most of Sop I and Sop II is pretty easy, but
        as long as an Alto part is not a complete boring drone, I'm fine with
        Alto in most things. (Though I can get jealous if it looks like the
        Sopranos are having more fun with the score!) I love to play with
        harmonies and often make up my own to songs I sing along with on the
        radio or whatever. Sometimes I do high ones, other times low. Guess
        that means I'm flexible. ;-)

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <diane19128@...> wrote:

        > A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
        > of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
        > of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
        > drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.
        >
        > Diane
        >

        > --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
        > that I
        > > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
        > > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
        > very
        > > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I
        know a
        > > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
        > > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and
        earlier
        > > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano
        parts,
        > > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
        > > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part
        anyway,
        > > but it's too low for me now.
        > > Elizabeth

      • indigo1923
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          I have sung all female parts and occasionally the tenor part. When
          there are 3 or 4 female parts (Sop I, Sop II, Alto or Sop I, Sop II,
          Alto I, Alto II) I prefer to take either Sop II or Alto I because I
          think they present more of a challenge than the top or bottom.
          Finding that middle note or one of two middle notes is difficult, and
          I love it. But I usually sing whatever part is needed, or which is
          hardest for others to manage, since I hold my own part well and often
          led a section in high school and college.

          Emelye