Re: [KWChoir] Altos and Sopranos

  • Monique Rio
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
      Funny, I just found that video in the minstrel archives this morning.

      Very amusing.

      -Jadia

      P.S. The alto vs. soprano thing was basically me in high-school. The
      sops that complained about the high notes used to really tick me off
      because I wanted to sing them. Then when I finally did get to sing
      soprano I got bored and wanted to sing alto again. :-P

      --
      http://www.blowthyhorn.com ~ Choir Directing & Early Music

      On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
      > You want banter? I got banter for you.
      >

      > This video has been making the rounds among my music geek friends. If you're
      > a music theory kind of person, it's hilarious enough to make you spit your
      > Pepsi. :-) If you're not, it might be a little mystifying, but still funny.
      >

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related
      >

      > Downside - it's in French, but there are subtitles.
      >

      > Enjoy.
      >

      > Arianna of Wynthrope

    • Elizabeth Dowling
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
        Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir that I
        am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
        soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the very
        early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I know a
        lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
        years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and earlier
        Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano parts,
        but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
        drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part anyway,
        but it's too low for me now.
        Elizabeth

        Monique Rio wrote:

        > Funny, I just found that video in the minstrel archives this morning.
        >
        > Very amusing.
        >
        > -Jadia
        >
        > P.S. The alto vs. soprano thing was basically me in high-school. The
        > sops that complained about the high notes used to really tick me off
        > because I wanted to sing them. Then when I finally did get to sing
        > soprano I got bored and wanted to sing alto again. :-P
        >
        > --
        > http://www.blowthyhorn.com <http://www.blowthyhorn.com> ~ Choir
        > Directing & Early Music
        >
        > On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...
        > <mailto:arianna_wyn%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        > > You want banter? I got banter for you.
        > >

        > > This video has been making the rounds among my music geek friends.
        > If you're
        > > a music theory kind of person, it's hilarious enough to make you
        > spit your
        > > Pepsi. :-) If you're not, it might be a little mystifying, but still
        > funny.
        > >

        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related
        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related>
        > >

        > > Downside - it's in French, but there are subtitles.
        > >

        > > Enjoy.
        > >

        > > Arianna of Wynthrope

      • Diane
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
          of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
          of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
          drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.

          Diane

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

          > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
          that I
          > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
          > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
          very
          > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I know a
          > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
          > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and earlier
          > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano parts,
          > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
          > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part anyway,
          > but it's too low for me now.
          > Elizabeth
        • Summer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
            I sang alto in middle school, then started singing soprano in high
            school. Sang 1st Soprano in 10th grade, and acquired a private voice
            teacher at the end of that year who set about training me in that
            particular range. The director of my school's a capella choir moved me
            to 2nd Soprano at the beginning of 11th grade but my private teacher
            prevailed upon him to place me back with the firsts because she was
            trying to help me develop my upper range and wanted me to be using it
            daily in choir. So I sang 1st in a capella and 2nd in our after school
            madrigals group (same director). Funny thing is, I could still sing
            Alto 1 and Alto 2 if I tried, but I had this oddly-sized break area in
            the middle of my range where I just couldn't keep my voice completely
            even in timbre. Just a few notes that were difficult. I finally got it
            mostly straightened out (thanks, Mamma P!) but now my whole range has
            shifted. I can still do most of Sop I and Sop II is pretty easy, but
            as long as an Alto part is not a complete boring drone, I'm fine with
            Alto in most things. (Though I can get jealous if it looks like the
            Sopranos are having more fun with the score!) I love to play with
            harmonies and often make up my own to songs I sing along with on the
            radio or whatever. Sometimes I do high ones, other times low. Guess
            that means I'm flexible. ;-)

            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <diane19128@...> wrote:

            > A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
            > of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
            > of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
            > drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.
            >
            > Diane
            >

            > --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
            > that I
            > > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
            > > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
            > very
            > > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I
            know a
            > > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
            > > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and
            earlier
            > > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano
            parts,
            > > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
            > > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part
            anyway,
            > > but it's too low for me now.
            > > Elizabeth

          • indigo1923
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
              I have sung all female parts and occasionally the tenor part. When
              there are 3 or 4 female parts (Sop I, Sop II, Alto or Sop I, Sop II,
              Alto I, Alto II) I prefer to take either Sop II or Alto I because I
              think they present more of a challenge than the top or bottom.
              Finding that middle note or one of two middle notes is difficult, and
              I love it. But I usually sing whatever part is needed, or which is
              hardest for others to manage, since I hold my own part well and often
              led a section in high school and college.

              Emelye