Altos and Sopranos

  • Lynda Gillow
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
      I agree, the bantering can be quite fun.  I would *love* to be able to sing soprano for a change.  It's been so long since I was with a group that had enough altos .... heck, I was an undergraduate last time I could sing Sop II instead of alto!

      Naturally, once all the music is chosen we'll know what the note ranges will be for the various pieces.  I have to say that in my past experience it was quite common for some folks to sing alto most of the time and since soprano for only 1 piece, or only for certain passages.  It was a good way not to over stress the voice of a Sop II and still get some clear high notes, as well as lots of useful harmony parts in other pieces :-)

      I can't wait to sing with an enthusiastic group of folks with keen enough senses of humor and love of music to talk (and joke) about being able to read music, vocal ranges, and agreeing to sing the part that will most benefit the choir.

      see you all soon!

      Cynuise

      The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008

        You want banter? I got banter for you.

        This video has been making the rounds among my music geek friends. If you're a music theory kind of person, it's hilarious enough to make you spit your Pepsi. :-)  If you're not, it might be a little mystifying, but still funny.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related

        Downside - it's in French, but there are subtitles.

        Enjoy.

        Arianna of Wynthrope

      • Monique Rio
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          Funny, I just found that video in the minstrel archives this morning.

          Very amusing.

          -Jadia

          P.S. The alto vs. soprano thing was basically me in high-school. The
          sops that complained about the high notes used to really tick me off
          because I wanted to sing them. Then when I finally did get to sing
          soprano I got bored and wanted to sing alto again. :-P

          --
          http://www.blowthyhorn.com ~ Choir Directing & Early Music

          On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
          > You want banter? I got banter for you.
          >

          > This video has been making the rounds among my music geek friends. If you're
          > a music theory kind of person, it's hilarious enough to make you spit your
          > Pepsi. :-) If you're not, it might be a little mystifying, but still funny.
          >

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related
          >

          > Downside - it's in French, but there are subtitles.
          >

          > Enjoy.
          >

          > Arianna of Wynthrope

        • Elizabeth Dowling
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
            Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir that I
            am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
            soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the very
            early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I know a
            lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
            years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and earlier
            Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano parts,
            but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
            drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part anyway,
            but it's too low for me now.
            Elizabeth

            Monique Rio wrote:

            > Funny, I just found that video in the minstrel archives this morning.
            >
            > Very amusing.
            >
            > -Jadia
            >
            > P.S. The alto vs. soprano thing was basically me in high-school. The
            > sops that complained about the high notes used to really tick me off
            > because I wanted to sing them. Then when I finally did get to sing
            > soprano I got bored and wanted to sing alto again. :-P
            >
            > --
            > http://www.blowthyhorn.com <http://www.blowthyhorn.com> ~ Choir
            > Directing & Early Music
            >
            > On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...
            > <mailto:arianna_wyn%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            > > You want banter? I got banter for you.
            > >

            > > This video has been making the rounds among my music geek friends.
            > If you're
            > > a music theory kind of person, it's hilarious enough to make you
            > spit your
            > > Pepsi. :-) If you're not, it might be a little mystifying, but still
            > funny.
            > >

            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHAojVyeG0&feature=related>
            > >

            > > Downside - it's in French, but there are subtitles.
            > >

            > > Enjoy.
            > >

            > > Arianna of Wynthrope

          • Diane
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
              A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
              of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
              of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
              drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.

              Diane

              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

              > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
              that I
              > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
              > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
              very
              > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I know a
              > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
              > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and earlier
              > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano parts,
              > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
              > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part anyway,
              > but it's too low for me now.
              > Elizabeth
            • Summer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
                I sang alto in middle school, then started singing soprano in high
                school. Sang 1st Soprano in 10th grade, and acquired a private voice
                teacher at the end of that year who set about training me in that
                particular range. The director of my school's a capella choir moved me
                to 2nd Soprano at the beginning of 11th grade but my private teacher
                prevailed upon him to place me back with the firsts because she was
                trying to help me develop my upper range and wanted me to be using it
                daily in choir. So I sang 1st in a capella and 2nd in our after school
                madrigals group (same director). Funny thing is, I could still sing
                Alto 1 and Alto 2 if I tried, but I had this oddly-sized break area in
                the middle of my range where I just couldn't keep my voice completely
                even in timbre. Just a few notes that were difficult. I finally got it
                mostly straightened out (thanks, Mamma P!) but now my whole range has
                shifted. I can still do most of Sop I and Sop II is pretty easy, but
                as long as an Alto part is not a complete boring drone, I'm fine with
                Alto in most things. (Though I can get jealous if it looks like the
                Sopranos are having more fun with the score!) I love to play with
                harmonies and often make up my own to songs I sing along with on the
                radio or whatever. Sometimes I do high ones, other times low. Guess
                that means I'm flexible. ;-)

                --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <diane19128@...> wrote:

                > A friend and I sang together (in school and on our own) all four years
                > of high school, she, a soprano, and me, an alto. But in our last year
                > of glee club, the director needed sop II's, so both she and I were
                > drafted! But I still prefer to sing alto over sop II.
                >
                > Diane
                >

                > --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Nobody ever let me sing soprano until I just told a college choir
                > that I
                > > am soprano (except for my voice teacher, who insisted that I was a
                > > soprano). I guess in my early years, it could have been due to the
                > very
                > > early morning rehearsal times. Therefore, I love harmony, and I
                know a
                > > lot of pieces in the alto part only, but I've sung Soprano I for many
                > > years now, and it's most comfortable. Baroque, classical, and
                earlier
                > > Renaissance polyphony (part songs) tends to have complex soprano
                parts,
                > > but some music is easier in that part. Many alto parts are close to
                > > drones, up and down between just a few notes. I like the part
                anyway,
                > > but it's too low for me now.
                > > Elizabeth

              • indigo1923
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
                  I have sung all female parts and occasionally the tenor part. When
                  there are 3 or 4 female parts (Sop I, Sop II, Alto or Sop I, Sop II,
                  Alto I, Alto II) I prefer to take either Sop II or Alto I because I
                  think they present more of a challenge than the top or bottom.
                  Finding that middle note or one of two middle notes is difficult, and
                  I love it. But I usually sing whatever part is needed, or which is
                  hardest for others to manage, since I hold my own part well and often
                  led a section in high school and college.

                  Emelye