Re: The Alto Challenge

  • erlannordenskald
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
      Good questions -
      > What is going on in terms of choir stuff? Excuse my ignorance as
      it's my
      > first year signing up and the like, but what happens in terms of
      assigning
      > vocal parts?

      The director chooses a program. She/he hopes that she has the voices
      to fill it. Upon registration, the director assigns vocal parts.
      Often scrambling around to substitute a piece or 2 because of the lack
      of voices.

      to date FYI, there are 2 basses and 3 tenors of the male persuasion.
      Because of the timbre of the female voice, I personally would not like
      to force the female into the tenor range. It's possible to "sing" the
      notes however since the notes are in the lower most portion of a
      female range, it comes across as "low" and not the timbre of a male
      tenor. So, I wait to see what I've got... sometimes, I can't use a
      piece or 2 because of this fact. Now, mind you, I sing tenor and alto
      parts when I sing but a female just doesn't have the power and volume
      and control in that lower register. *sigh*
      So that all means........ERLAN NEEDS MORE MEN

      I will have vocal assignments and the music list later on today.
    • Summer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
        And then there are people like me, who have lost some of our highest
        notes simply due to getting older and/or not having used them all that
        much in recent years... *sigh* Oh, well, I did get some notes into the
        other part of my range that weren't there before, so I suppose it's a
        trade-off!

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

        > Well, a few points:
        <snippage for length - no need for me to repeat everything - SS>
        > 2. There are a number of women who, for whatever health reasons,
        > literally can no longer reach the high notes. I had a friend who was
        > prescribed a medication which permanently lowered her voice to tenor,
        > and she had been soprano. Such persons are not "lazy" sopranos. If a
        > person cannot reach the high notes, or doesn't know how, it could
        damage
        > the voice to try; it helps to relax and sing mentally "above" the notes.

        <more snippage for length>
      • June Whalen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2008
          Greetings one and all -

          I have in fact registered as a Soprano at Pennsic 36 and again this year.

          I can hit those really raftery notes - but would love company from such a high altitude!

          Meitheamh

          From: Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@deers- cry.com>
          To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
          Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 10:51 AM

          Are you saying that there aren't enough sopranos?
          Elizabeth

          Terri Garvey wrote:

          > You may tell those good gentles that:
          >

          > Once upon a time, at least one Alto you know was placed in that
          > section early in her career by a director who needed singers who
          > would hold their own part and not default to the melody. In High
          > School, she sang Tenor, as there was a dirth of male Tenors in her
          > school, all the while longing to sing Soprano, sure she could hit
          > those high notes. Finally given the chance to choose her own voice
          > part, she found that she could indeed hit those high notes, she also
          > found the Soprano lines to be less interesting and challenging than
          > the Alto. So, here she is, preparing to sing Alto in the Known World
          > Choir, and generally unfamiliar with the music. Thus, with the level
          > of challenge not an issue, she is willing to sing Soprano if need be.
          > Perhaps it is her time to soar once again. The End

        • Susan Stoltze
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008

            Ummm, that would be me.

            - Susanna Merrybegot