Re: The Alto Challenge

  • JLLYBN
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
      I sang soprano all my life until a few years ago the last tenor in our
      choir died. I switched to tenor as did another soprano friend. It was
      very difficult for me as the logic of the part is VERY different. I am
      finally getting the hang of it and can sometimes "hear" the part in the
      music. Soprano is easier since they most often get the melody. Changing
      to tenor made me much more humble. Now I alternate between 2 churches
      and sing tenor at one and soprano at the other which helps to keep my
      voice flexible. I can tell you what a note is on paper but I can't look
      at that note and sing it. Nor can I figure out what a piece of music is
      supposed to sound like by the score. But - I love to sing and usually
      hold my own.

      -
    • erlannordenskald
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
        Good questions -
        > What is going on in terms of choir stuff? Excuse my ignorance as
        it's my
        > first year signing up and the like, but what happens in terms of
        assigning
        > vocal parts?

        The director chooses a program. She/he hopes that she has the voices
        to fill it. Upon registration, the director assigns vocal parts.
        Often scrambling around to substitute a piece or 2 because of the lack
        of voices.

        to date FYI, there are 2 basses and 3 tenors of the male persuasion.
        Because of the timbre of the female voice, I personally would not like
        to force the female into the tenor range. It's possible to "sing" the
        notes however since the notes are in the lower most portion of a
        female range, it comes across as "low" and not the timbre of a male
        tenor. So, I wait to see what I've got... sometimes, I can't use a
        piece or 2 because of this fact. Now, mind you, I sing tenor and alto
        parts when I sing but a female just doesn't have the power and volume
        and control in that lower register. *sigh*
        So that all means........ERLAN NEEDS MORE MEN

        I will have vocal assignments and the music list later on today.
      • Summer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
          And then there are people like me, who have lost some of our highest
          notes simply due to getting older and/or not having used them all that
          much in recent years... *sigh* Oh, well, I did get some notes into the
          other part of my range that weren't there before, so I suppose it's a
          trade-off!

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

          > Well, a few points:
          <snippage for length - no need for me to repeat everything - SS>
          > 2. There are a number of women who, for whatever health reasons,
          > literally can no longer reach the high notes. I had a friend who was
          > prescribed a medication which permanently lowered her voice to tenor,
          > and she had been soprano. Such persons are not "lazy" sopranos. If a
          > person cannot reach the high notes, or doesn't know how, it could
          damage
          > the voice to try; it helps to relax and sing mentally "above" the notes.

          <more snippage for length>
        • June Whalen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2008
            Greetings one and all -

            I have in fact registered as a Soprano at Pennsic 36 and again this year.

            I can hit those really raftery notes - but would love company from such a high altitude!

            Meitheamh

            From: Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@deers- cry.com>
            To: KWChoir@yahoogroups .com
            Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 10:51 AM

            Are you saying that there aren't enough sopranos?
            Elizabeth

            Terri Garvey wrote:

            > You may tell those good gentles that:
            >

            > Once upon a time, at least one Alto you know was placed in that
            > section early in her career by a director who needed singers who
            > would hold their own part and not default to the melody. In High
            > School, she sang Tenor, as there was a dirth of male Tenors in her
            > school, all the while longing to sing Soprano, sure she could hit
            > those high notes. Finally given the chance to choose her own voice
            > part, she found that she could indeed hit those high notes, she also
            > found the Soprano lines to be less interesting and challenging than
            > the Alto. So, here she is, preparing to sing Alto in the Known World
            > Choir, and generally unfamiliar with the music. Thus, with the level
            > of challenge not an issue, she is willing to sing Soprano if need be.
            > Perhaps it is her time to soar once again. The End

          • Susan Stoltze
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008

              Ummm, that would be me.

              - Susanna Merrybegot