Re: [KWChoir] The Alto Challenge

  • Kathleen Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008

      Yes, that is a previous message that there were far more alto voices registering.  to I had replied that a previoius choir master of mine and my son who is now working on his doctorate in vocal performance and will be singing with the Phoenix opera comapany,believe that many women who call themselves altos are in fact lazy sopranos.

      So again, ladies, fess up and step up to the plate, and join me in the soprano section.

      (yes, I know, alto can be more fun sometimes............)

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008
        I have heard that altos are sopranos who can read music 8^)

        Ysolt, a sop who reads music

        --
        Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008
          Well, a few points:
          1. This year, because of the e-mail mix-ups, there may be a number of
          people who expect to participate and haven't signed up yet; I think that
          the altos and men usually sign up first because often it is difficult to
          find them. Some of the altos may be able to sing tenor, which is only a
          couple of notes lower than alto usually. (And it's funny; in the past
          there have been some bottom-heavy pieces.)

          2. There are a number of women who, for whatever health reasons,
          literally can no longer reach the high notes. I had a friend who was
          prescribed a medication which permanently lowered her voice to tenor,
          and she had been soprano. Such persons are not "lazy" sopranos. If a
          person cannot reach the high notes, or doesn't know how, it could damage
          the voice to try; it helps to relax and sing mentally "above" the notes.

          3. I usually sing soprano 1 unless no altos show up; I couldn't come
          last year. You may remember me; I tend to get an ice cream cone before
          rehearsals. (I've studied Indian music, and they prep the voice with
          butter rather than lemon.) Seriously, there are ways to stretch a voice
          that is lazy. Sing a scale slowly down the scale first, as low as you
          can go, yawning open the mouth and becoming much quieter as you
          descend. Then go up the scale from the bottom, back to the starting
          note. Then, sing some arpegios or quick scales going up a little at a
          time; keeping the chin down and letting the jaw relax into a comfortable
          position. For a number of months, I had a few women who normally sing
          alto coming to my house once a week (learning some Period music), and
          after a couple of weeks, their low notes were the C the octave below
          middle C or lower, and their high notes were the E _two_ octaves above
          middle C. They are shy of the choir, or I'd get two of those queens of
          the night (who are coming to Pennsic) to sing soprano with us. But, if
          a person is able to expand their voice, and not all can, the way to go
          up is to go down first.
          Elizabeth

          Kathleen Smith wrote:

          > Yes, that is a previous message that there were far more alto voices
          > registering. to I had replied that a previoius choir master of mine
          > and my son who is now working on his doctorate in vocal performance
          > and will be singing with the Phoenix opera comapany,believe that many
          > women who call themselves altos are in fact lazy sopranos.
          >

          > So again, ladies, fess up and step up to the plate, and join me in the
          > soprano section.
          >

          > (yes, I know, alto can be more fun sometimes............)

        • Dawn Assumma
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008
            What is going on in terms of choir stuff?  Excuse my ignorance as it's my first year signing up and the like, but what happens in terms of assigning vocal parts?

            Liliane Morhbane

            Kathleen Smith wrote:

            > Yes, that is a previous message that there were far more alto voices
            > registering. to I had replied that a previoius choir master of mine
            > and my son who is now working on his doctorate in vocal performance
            > and will be singing with the Phoenix opera comapany,believe that many
            > women who call themselves altos are in fact lazy sopranos.
            >

            > So again, ladies, fess up and step up to the plate, and join me in the
            > soprano section.
            >

            > (yes, I know, alto can be more fun sometimes............)

          • JLLYBN
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
              I sang soprano all my life until a few years ago the last tenor in our
              choir died. I switched to tenor as did another soprano friend. It was
              very difficult for me as the logic of the part is VERY different. I am
              finally getting the hang of it and can sometimes "hear" the part in the
              music. Soprano is easier since they most often get the melody. Changing
              to tenor made me much more humble. Now I alternate between 2 churches
              and sing tenor at one and soprano at the other which helps to keep my
              voice flexible. I can tell you what a note is on paper but I can't look
              at that note and sing it. Nor can I figure out what a piece of music is
              supposed to sound like by the score. But - I love to sing and usually
              hold my own.

              -
            • erlannordenskald
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                Good questions -
                > What is going on in terms of choir stuff? Excuse my ignorance as
                it's my
                > first year signing up and the like, but what happens in terms of
                assigning
                > vocal parts?

                The director chooses a program. She/he hopes that she has the voices
                to fill it. Upon registration, the director assigns vocal parts.
                Often scrambling around to substitute a piece or 2 because of the lack
                of voices.

                to date FYI, there are 2 basses and 3 tenors of the male persuasion.
                Because of the timbre of the female voice, I personally would not like
                to force the female into the tenor range. It's possible to "sing" the
                notes however since the notes are in the lower most portion of a
                female range, it comes across as "low" and not the timbre of a male
                tenor. So, I wait to see what I've got... sometimes, I can't use a
                piece or 2 because of this fact. Now, mind you, I sing tenor and alto
                parts when I sing but a female just doesn't have the power and volume
                and control in that lower register. *sigh*
                So that all means........ERLAN NEEDS MORE MEN

                I will have vocal assignments and the music list later on today.
              • Summer
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                  And then there are people like me, who have lost some of our highest
                  notes simply due to getting older and/or not having used them all that
                  much in recent years... *sigh* Oh, well, I did get some notes into the
                  other part of my range that weren't there before, so I suppose it's a
                  trade-off!

                  --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Dowling <ejdowling@...> wrote:

                  > Well, a few points:
                  <snippage for length - no need for me to repeat everything - SS>
                  > 2. There are a number of women who, for whatever health reasons,
                  > literally can no longer reach the high notes. I had a friend who was
                  > prescribed a medication which permanently lowered her voice to tenor,
                  > and she had been soprano. Such persons are not "lazy" sopranos. If a
                  > person cannot reach the high notes, or doesn't know how, it could
                  damage
                  > the voice to try; it helps to relax and sing mentally "above" the notes.

                  <more snippage for length>
                • June Whalen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 12, 2008
                    Greetings one and all -

                    I have in fact registered as a Soprano at Pennsic 36 and again this year.

                    I can hit those really raftery notes - but would love company from such a high altitude!

                    Meitheamh

                    Terri Garvey wrote:

                    > You may tell those good gentles that:
                    >

                    > Once upon a time, at least one Alto you know was placed in that
                    > section early in her career by a director who needed singers who
                    > would hold their own part and not default to the melody. In High
                    > School, she sang Tenor, as there was a dirth of male Tenors in her
                    > school, all the while longing to sing Soprano, sure she could hit
                    > those high notes. Finally given the chance to choose her own voice
                    > part, she found that she could indeed hit those high notes, she also
                    > found the Soprano lines to be less interesting and challenging than
                    > the Alto. So, here she is, preparing to sing Alto in the Known World
                    > Choir, and generally unfamiliar with the music. Thus, with the level
                    > of challenge not an issue, she is willing to sing Soprano if need be.
                    > Perhaps it is her time to soar once again. The End

                  • Susan Stoltze
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008

                      Ummm, that would be me.

                      - Susanna Merrybegot