948Re: [KWChoir] Re: the rarity of music

    May 20, 2008
      My Lady Eilionóra,

      Congratulations on reviving your barony's choir! I have directed choirs in two baronies, and I know what a difficult task it can be to keep people motivated and coming back to rehearsals every week.

      May I make a suggestion regarding performance venues? While not every event is suitable for a full-blown concert, my choirs have enjoyed performing for baronial and kingdom courts. We will sometimes sing 3 or 4 pieces for the audience while they wait for court to start; since they're sitting there and bored anyway, even those who aren't fans of medieval music usually welcome our performance. Then we sing a short piece for a processional when the dignitaries walk to their thrones. This requires advance arrangement with the baron/crown and a little coordination with the heralds, but my offers have seldom been refused and usually greeted with pleasure. Just last Saturday my choir sang for court at AEthelmearc War Practice, an event of about 1200 held at Cooper's Lake (site of Pennsic), and were thanked copiously by our Baroness and the Crown - not to mention being asked for sheet music by a gentle from another barony. :-)

      I have a bunch of pieces that are suitable for processionals (grand sounding, not too hard, and either short or with multiple cadences so we can conveniently stop whenever the procession ends). Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a list.

      Arianna of Wynthrope

      .