2071Re: [KWChoir] Top 10 period songs every SCAdian should know

  • Victoria Sapko
    Jan 8, 2014
      It was my impression from reading through old group messages that the KWC top 10 was of KWC songs, and what I'm putting together is different - a top 10 of songs every SCAdian should know.

      I'm leaning toward easier songs to learn, since this is directed at the average person rather than experienced singers.  For that reason, I'd like to lean more toward unison and rounds, with exceptions for particularly important songs, composers, or genres.  For example, I include the Agincourt carol because it's one that I've heard folks start singing at events, it commemorates an important moment in medieval history, and it's an example of a non-Christmas carol.  It does, however, have complicated parts.  I will likely teach the main line, with some running through the others as time permits and if I have singers experienced in part singing.

      In addition to my previous list, I am also thinking of:
      The Boar's Head Carol (can be common at Yule/Twelfth Night events, example of macaronic)
      Coventry Carol (discussions of pageants and related music here, likely sticking to the melody)

      I'd also like examples of rounds and madrigals, thanks for those who have suggested some already!

      Rosina

      On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

      Just fyi, the KWC has a top 10 in the files section:

      -Jennifer/Gwendolyn

      On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:06 PM, Jo-Ann <JoniSyngs@...> wrote:

      Greetings Rosina!

      Are you looking for long songs?  Short songs? Specific numbers of parts?  Are you making a songbook?

      ChoralWiki has many to choose from, and some good ideas may be right here in our File section.

      Now Is the Month of Maying and Sing We and Chant It might be good ones for your list.

      Happy searching!

      Lady Siri