1972New Music in an Old Style

  • corun2
    Feb 4, 2013
      Greetings to the lists (I am cross posting this to SCA Musicians, the Atlantian Performer's Guild, and the Known World Choir lists),

      A subject that has always been of interest to me and one which I think we as musicians in the SCA should look into more and take more seriously is writing new music in the old styles. By that I don't mean writing filk songs to modern music or writing SCA themed songs in periodesque styles (that is to say styles that sound vaguely period but are not), but actually studying the styles of such luminaries as Praetorius, Palestrina, Gibbons, des Pres, Dufay, Ockeghem, and even the ballad masters Dowland, Morley and Campion.

      There is certainly a wealth of music to be had from period sources, and it is lovely to hear it done at events. But I wonder if anyone is adding to this treasure trove by actually learning, for example, 15th and 16th century polyphony for both sacred and secular choral music? Or a new lute song in the style of the late 16th century. I have seen dancers come up with new dances steps to old music, and this is always fun to see. It would be nice to give them some new music to dance to as well.

      Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Let's start a discussion of your favorite styles of music or composers? What is your interest in creating something new in an old style. What are you studying, singing, playing?

      Corun
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic