1966Re: [KWChoir] What are you singing?

  • Tim Thomas
    Jan 30, 2013
      I am going to 'up the bar', so to speak, and not just say what I've been singing lately, but let you listen(!)

      Besides being a full-time choir director and music educator to students in grades 6-12, I have the great good fortune to sing each Sunday in the professional chancel choir of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit.  St. John's is a Very traditional, Anglican church, preferring the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and the 1940 Hymnal.  Best of all, they have a long history of support for a full English cathedral-style choral program in worship and I have the pleasure of singing the likes of Byrd, Tallis, Weelkes, and the like each week - it warms my tenor soul!

      Here is "Call to Remembrance" by the English composer Richard Farrant (c.1530 - 1580) - Enjoy!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2tnU_WZSw

      Cailin mac Aindreis

      > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote: >> >> >> >> I thought it might be nice today to lighten the winter doldrums (at least,
      for those of us up north).
      8 pieces, which included "Personent Hodie," "Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som," "O Dolce Vita Mia" by Baldassare Donato, and one of the songs Lady Siri is doing with the Pennsic Choir next August, Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus." That piece is utterly sublime; I promise you are going to love it.
      AEthelmearc, with the help of Master Steffan ap Kennydd of the East Kingdom, are planning a very authentic Coronation ceremony, and I have the honor of coordinating performers for the multiple choral pieces that will be part of the ceremony. The big show piece will be "Da Pacem Domine" by Firminus Caron, which I chose mostly because it's from the requested time period of mid-15th century, voiced for SAB so we don't have to worry about the old bugaboo of a dearth of tenors, and it's really pretty and upbeat but not too long. It's a little obscure so I haven't found any recordings of it, but I hope we'll be able to tape it at Coronation in April.
      include Marenzio's "Zefiro Torna." We'll be performing Monday night as usual, and will also sing a few pieces on Thursday at the Known World Choir and Friends concert.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic