1957Re: [KWChoir] What are you singing?

  • Monique Rio
    Jan 28, 2013
      Hi all,

      I direct the Cynnabar Singers in the Barony of Cynnabar. (Ann Arbor,
      MI) This semester we're working up some fun music:

      2 16th century English madrigals: Weelkes' "The Nightingale, the Organ
      of Delight" (Yes, it's as euphamistic as it sounds) and Bateson's
      "Your Shining Eyes".
      A 13th century motet "On Parole; A Paris; Fresse Nouvelle" from the
      Montpellier Codex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNFNIt5pH2U
      An Adam de la Halle motet (13th century) "Aucun se sont; A Dieu
      commant; Super Te"

      We're hoping to perform these at Cynnabar's upcoming events
      Terpsichore in April and St. Cecilia at the Tower in May

      (Btw, if you're in the area, you should definitely come to St. Cecilia . :D )

      http://cynnabar.org/terpsichore/
      http://cynnabar.org/cecilia

      Yay music!
      -Jadzia

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Monique Rio <mrio@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> I thought it might be nice today to lighten the winter doldrums (at least, for those of us up north).
      >>
      >> What are you singing lately?
      >>
      >> Two weeks ago the Debatable Choir sang its annual 12th Night concert of about 8 pieces, which included "Personent Hodie," "Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som," "O Dolce Vita Mia" by Baldassare Donato, and one of the songs Lady Siri is doing with the Pennsic Choir next August, Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus." That piece is utterly sublime; I promise you are going to love it.
      >>
      >> My choir's next project is a BIG one - the Crown Prince and Princess of AEthelmearc, with the help of Master Steffan ap Kennydd of the East Kingdom, are planning a very authentic Coronation ceremony, and I have the honor of coordinating performers for the multiple choral pieces that will be part of the ceremony. The big show piece will be "Da Pacem Domine" by Firminus Caron, which I chose mostly because it's from the requested time period of mid-15th century, voiced for SAB so we don't have to worry about the old bugaboo of a dearth of tenors, and it's really pretty and upbeat but not too long. It's a little obscure so I haven't found any recordings of it, but I hope we'll be able to tape it at Coronation in April.
      >>
      >> And, of course, we're beginning to learn our Pennsic repertoire, which will include Marenzio's "Zefiro Torna." We'll be performing Monday night as usual, and will also sing a few pieces on Thursday at the Known World Choir and Friends concert.
      >>
      >> So, what is everyone else up to?
      >>
      >> Arianna of Wynthrope

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic