186Re: Thank You for Educating Me

  • sionedhe
    May 11, 2005
      Hoorah! I teach private piano and voice. And I've taught general/choral elementary
      music in public schools for 12 years. Its nice to hear a parent quoting the research!

      BTW - greetings! I am Lady Ysabiau la Jolicoeur d'Avignon - from sunny Trimaris.
      Glad to be on board and hope to be of service - lend my voice to the cause.

      Ysabiau

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@y...> wrote:
      > --- scarlets1@a... wrote:
      > > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning
      >
      > And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)
      >
      > > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.
      >
      > Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
      > see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
      > study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
      > keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
      > instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
      > down.
      >
      > My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
      > surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
      > do very well until he learned piano.
      >
      > So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
      > can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
      > experience!
      >
      > Arianna of Wynthrope
      > Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands
      >
      > Karen Kasper
      >
      > "Only the educated are free." Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses
      >
      > "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." Malcolm
      Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic