184Re: [KWChoir] Thank You for Educating Me

    Apr 30 2:51 PM
      --- scarlets1@... wrote:
      > I now enjoy learning for the sake of learning

      And that's why we're all in the SCA. :-)

      > I wonder what happened to those years of piano lessons.

      Oh, fear not, they weren't wasted. I've read that kids who learn piano
      see improvement across the board academically, especially in math. One
      study compared kids who studied piano, others who learned computer
      keyboarding skills and a third group who learned a non-keyboard musical
      instrument. The pianists won on cognitive development tests, hands
      down.

      My 9-year old is in his second year of piano and we've found another
      surprising benefit. He has learned to sing on pitch, which he didn't
      do very well until he learned piano.

      So even if you've lost the muscle memory to play piano two-handed, you
      can console yourself that you've gained other things from the
      experience!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

      http://mail.yahoo.com