1821Re: [KWChoir] Sources

  • Monique Rio
    Jan 3, 2012
      If you're looking for period sources of English Madrigals, the best place I can think of to find them is Early English Books Online. http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home If you have an affiliation with a University, you'll probably have access to it. If you can get to a University Library you'll probably be able to use it.

      http://www.earlymusiconline.org/ is free to everyone to use, but doesn't have a large collection of English music as far as I can tell.

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/music.html Gregory Blount's website has lots of good info including a facsimile of Ravenscroft's books.

      For a source for how this music was performed in period, the textbook for the Renaissance Musicology course I took a few years ago had some information on the period performance. The book was /Renaissance Music/ by Allan Atlas  http://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Music-Western-1400-1600-Introduction/dp/0393971694 It wouldn't be a terrible place to start a research project. English Madrigals are discussed toward the end of the book.

      Hope that helps-
      -Jadzia

      On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM, jenmizrahi <jenmiz@...> wrote:

      I am doing some research for an English Madrigal performance coming up (in a few months) and looking for recommendations for sources. I have found lots of good information on how to read period notation and how the form developed musically, but I am having trouble finding more general information from RELIABLE sources about who would be singing this music, where they would perform it and for whom (at a private home during a feast, for some of the ladies of the household while they were sewing, etc) what they would wear, how professional/amateur a group they would be.

      Any recommendations of book titles or authors?

      Also, any recommendations of who to listen to would be appreciated. I know we had a slew of recommendations a few months back, but I had trouble finding it slogging through the old posts, so if I could get a recap?

      Thanks so much!

      Biket

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic