1172Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir for 2009

  • Susan Stoltze
    Dec 8, 2008
      Just a suggestion ...  "Copernicus' Last Words, "performed by Broceliande.

      - Susannah
      Greetings Known World Singers!

      The KWC list has been pretty quiet for a while so I thought I would liven things up a bit. :-)

      After a bit of brainstorming, we have a theme for next Pennsic: Astronomy!

      2009 is the International Year of Astronomy, in celebration of the 400th anniversary of both Galileo's work with the telescope and of the publication of Kepler's Astronomia Nova.

      Since I haven't found any choral works about Galileo or Kepler themselves, we'll be singing pieces about stars, planets, the moon, the sun and anything else that might be bent to our theme. Though, I'm still mulling over whether "Tan Ta Ra Cried Mars" qualifies. :-) I have a fair number of pieces in the running so far, including Weelkes' "Thule, the Period of Cosmography" , Michael East's "Hence Stars" and "Parmi di Star" by Severin Cornet. Your suggestions on pieces that fit this theme are welcome! Once the final selections are made, I'll post them to the Yahoo Group as usual.

      Also, I have been in touch with the Performing Arts Pavilion coordinator, who plans to begin scheduling sometime in the next month or so. I'll post the rehearsal schedule once he confirms it.

      Have a wonderful holiday season!

      Arianna of Wynthrope
      Director, Pennsic 38 Choir

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic