Re: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Andy Curry's website is wonderful

  • evanandpolly@juno.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006

      Bill and everyone:  I never got a commitment from the upcoming Wakarusa Festival in Lawrence for a KMHOF display booth or exhibitor tickets.  They had said we could distribute material on our own there (but we would be regular ticketholders, our expense).  If anyone is attending on their own (looks like an awesome line-up), let Bill or someone know right away so we can put together a handout ( info piece/membership app) ASAP.  The Fesitival is four days at Lake Clinton starting June 8.  Check it out at wakarusa.com.

      They have interest in KMHOF and might book inductee groups for future festivals and might allow a disdplay booth with advance notice.  We should start working on this well ahead of next year's event.

      Thanks,

      Evan Johnson (Red Dogs)

    • dano fleming
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
        Thanks for the update Evan.
        In lieu of the fact that my band Firing Line will be playing in Oxford, NE on the 10th, I doubt I will be able to attend any of the Wakarusa Festival after all.
        You are right about the fact that if they have interest in inductee bands we should start early for next year and make it happen.  There is considerable exposure with crowds of this size that attend the Wakarusa Festival.
        I would have loved to attend if I didn't have to play on the 10th.  Maybe I'll be free next year and can help.
        dano

        "evanandpolly@..." <evanandpolly@...> wrote:
        Bill and everyone:  I never got a commitment from the upcoming Wakarusa Festival in Lawrence for a KMHOF display booth or exhibitor tickets.  They had said we could distribute material on our own there (but we would be regular ticketholders, our expense).  If anyone is attending on their own (looks like an awesome line-up), let Bill or someone know right away so we can put together a handout ( info piece/membership app) ASAP.  The Fesitival is four days at Lake Clinton starting June 8.  Check it out at wakarusa.com.
        They have interest in KMHOF and might book inductee groups for future festivals and might allow a disdplay booth with advance notice.  We should start working on this well ahead of next year's event.
        Thanks,
        Evan Johnson (Red Dogs)

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Dawayne Bailey
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, ksrocker@... wrote:

          > John Lomas, long time Lawrence guitarist, sent me a link to Andy
          Curry's new
          > website. It is full of Lawrence/Kansas musical history,
          wonderful pictures
          > and more music than I can play in a day (but I'm going to try).
          Talk about a
          > trip down Memory Lane!! Pictures I never imagined seeing and so
          much music
          > from some of my favorite local musicians. Thank you John for the
          link and
          > Andy for the site.
          >
          > Bill Lee

          That blew my wee little brains out....simply incredible history
          lesson and I plan on going back to class as often as possible.

          Thanks for sharing that link. There is an overwhelming amount of
          info and mp3 samples from the likes of Lee McBee, Junior Brown, Bill
          Lynch, Stoned Circus and tons of rare photos.

          Check out this early photo of Kustom Amps inventor Budd Ross playing
          bass in 1960 in a band called The Sliders:
          http://www.andycurry.info/sliders.htm

          It's interesting to see photos of Dwane Richardson's band and takes
          me back to when my family lived in Lawrence and Eudora in 1958 to
          the early 60s. My oldest brother Dan took guitar lessons from Dewey
          Richardson or at least someone from Dewey's store.

          I had no idea who Andy Curry was until today and it's great to learn
          the six degrees of separation and synchronicity that binds us all
          from those times and places.

          Junior Brown playing with the Billy Spears Band? Ya learn something
          everyday....

          Bravo!
        • L. Dennis Higgins
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
            Hey Dawayne - what year is the bass that Budd's playing?

            Fox

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, L. Dennis Higgins
              <dhiggins@...> wrote:

              > Hey Dawayne - what year is the bass that Budd's playing?
              >
              > Fox

              I'm not an expert but it looks to me like a mid to late 50s Fender
              Precision - it doesn't look like an early 50s, which looks like this:
              http://snipurl.com/r8mf

              In fact, your Fender P bass is a '51 or '52 if I'm not mistaken and
              looks different from the bass that Bud Ross is playing in this photo:
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006

                To Andy Curry:  I hope you receive this via our KC GenOne Rockers network, because I want to acknowledge your website before your peers as an amazing and wonderful journey through not just your musical history, but through the whole midwest music evolution that so many of us are blessed to have been a part of.  Congratulations and thanks for this incredibly comprehensive retrospective!  It inspires me to look back and try to put together my own memories and treasures of the musical path I took.  Mine can't be nearly as impressive as yours, but maybe my grandkids will get a kick out of it someday!  Great work, Andy.  I salute you!

                Evan Johnson (Red Dogs)

                P.S. Thanks for including the Red Dogs in your generous list of links.  I always get a kick out of Bill Lee's review of our group, which was written some time ago before he got to know all of us better through KMHOF endeavors.  He had me playing sax (never did!) instead of drums (always did!).  Oh well, I was just flattered to be mentioned!

              • L. Dennis Higgins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Yep Dawayne - my P bass is a '51. It's going to the studio with me
                  today. Laying down bass tracks on one of my new songs for my new
                  children's CD.

                  Fox

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                    Evan,
                    Ditto! Andy's site is great. I may follow his and now your footsteps. I
                    might put a site together - if nothing else, my children and
                    grandchildren will like it.

                    Dennis Fox Higgins
                    Spider and the Crabs

                  • ksrocker@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                      In a message dated 6/2/2006 1:07:02 A.M. Central Standard Time, evanandpolly@... writes:
                      P.S. Thanks for including the Red Dogs in your generous list of links.  I always get a kick out of Bill Lee's review of our group, which was written some time ago before he got to know all of us better through KMHOF endeavors.  He had me playing sax (never did!) instead of drums (always did!).  Oh well, I was just flattered to be mentioned!
                      Even, are you ever going to let me live that typo down???
                    • ksrocker@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                        In a message dated 6/2/2006 1:07:02 A.M. Central Standard Time, evanandpolly@... writes:
                        To Andy Curry:  I hope you receive this via our KC GenOne Rockers network, because I want to acknowledge your website before your peers as an amazing and wonderful journey through not just your musical history, but through the whole midwest music evolution that so many of us are blessed to have been a part of.  Congratulations and thanks for this incredibly comprehensive retrospective!  It inspires me to look back and try to put together my own memories and treasures of the musical path I took.  Mine can't be nearly as impressive as yours, but maybe my grandkids will get a kick out of it someday!  Great work, Andy.  I salute you!
                        Andy signed up for the digest, so he'll get your message later today, Evan.

                        Bill
                      • david bailey
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                          Dan also played with dwane Richardson in the 80's I believe.When he lived in Eudora& was married to the wicked witch of the East.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                            Hey gang – (taking a risk here because this is a bit personal),

                            I hope you can open this. It’s a short film of the guitarist Django
                            Reinhardt and his Quintet. A friend of mine sent it to me and I thought
                            it was cool. I had just finished composing a song called “Strollin’”
                            that is designed to be a big band, jazz influenced song. Lots of 6ths
                            and 9ths in the chord structure. It needs a big band to make it sound
                            right. Who knows, I might just pull a horn section into the studio to
                            do the recording. If so, I’ll find a way to post the results on the
                            site for y’all. I played it for a buddy of mine. He sent this clip to
                            me in return. My song really belongs back in the ‘40s era.

                            My inspiration? My wife and I just bought new wedding bands (after all
                            these years) and we were “strollin down the street” last Friday night.

                            Check out this guys guitar technique. His fingers were damaged in a
                            fire but he never gave up.

                            Enjoy,

                            Dennis Fox Higgins
                            Soul Express, Spider and the Crabs