"Fats" Domino missing in New Orleans!

  • ksrocker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      Many of us know people in or near New Orleans, so I thought you might find this article of interest.  My brother in Morgan City was lucky that Katrina turned when she did or he wouldn't have a house now.

      Bill

      'Fats' Domino Missing in New Orleans
      Thursday, September 01, 2005
      By Roger Friedman

      Missing Musicians

      Before NBC, MTV, or anyone else puts on a telethon to help victims of
      Hurricane Katrina, they might want to explore some ancillary issues. To
      wit: New Orleans is a city famous for its famous musicians, but many of
      them are missing. Missing with a capital M.

      To begin with, one of the city’s most important legends, Antoine “Fats”
      Domino, has not been heard from since Monday afternoon. Domino’s
      rollicking boogie-woogie piano and deep soul voice are not only part of
      the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame but responsible for dozens of hits like
      “Blue Monday,” “Ain’t That a Shame,” “Blueberry Hill” and “I’m Walking
      (Yes, Indeed, I’m Talking).”

      Domino, 76, lives with his wife Rosemary and daughter in a three story
      pink-roofed house in New Orleans’ 9th ward, which is now underwater. On
      Monday afternoon, Domino told his manager, Al Embry of Nashville, that he
      would “ride out the storm” at home. Embry is now frantic.

      Calls have been made to Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco’s office and to
      various police officials and though there’s lots of sympathetic response,
      the whereabouts of Domino and his family remain a mystery.

      In the meantime, another important Louisiana musician who probably hasn’t
      been asked to be in any telethons is the also legendary Allen Toussaint.
      Another Rock Hall member, Toussaint wrote Patti Labelle’s hit “Lady
      Marmalade” and Dr. John’s “Right Place, Wrong Time.” His arrangements and
      orchestrations for hundreds of hit records, including his own
      instrumentals “Whipped Cream” and “Java” are American staples. (He also
      arranged Paul Simon’s hit, “Kodachrome.”)

      Last night, Toussaint was one of the 25,000 people holed up at the New
      Orleans Superdome hoping to get on a bus for Houston’s Astrodome. I know
      this because he got a message out to his daughter, who relayed to it
      through friends.

      Also not heard from by friends through last night: New Orleans’s “Queen of
      Soul,” Irma Thomas, who was the original singer of what became the Rolling
      Stones’ hit, “Time is On My Side.”

      Let’s hope and pray it is, because while the Stones roll through the U.S.
      on their $450-a-ticket tour, Thomas is missing in action. Her club, The
      Lion’s Den is underwater, as are all the famous music hot spots of the
      city.

      Similarly, friends are looking for Antoinette K-Doe, widow of New Orleans
      wild performer Ernie K-Doe. The Does have a famous nightspot of their own
      on N. Claiborne Avenue, called the Mother-in-Law Lounge, in honor of
      Ernie’s immortal hit, “The Mother-in-Law Song.” Ernie K-Doe, who received
      a 1998 Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, died in 2001 at
      age 65.

      Dry and safe, but in not much better shape, is the famous Neville family
      of New Orleans. Aaron Neville and many members of the family evacuated on
      Monday to Memphis, where they are now staying in a hotel. But most of the
      Nevilles’ homes are destroyed, reports their niece and my colleague at “A
      Current Affair,” Arthel Neville. She went down to her hometown yesterday
      and called me from a boat that was trying to get near town.

      “This isn’t like having two feet of water in your basement,” she said,
      holding back tears. “Everything is destroyed. I am just so lucky to have
      been born here and to have had the experience of New Orleans."

      She confirmed that there had been rumors of dead bodies floating around
      her Uncle Aaron’s house yesterday. So far the Nevilles are unannounced to
      participate in Friday’s TV show.

      And still there are plenty of other famous musicians associated with New
      Orleans who would probably like to be on TV if they’re high and dry. The
      Marsalis family comes from the city, and they’ve played at most of the
      well known clubs like Tipitina’s, The Maple Leaf, Preservation Hall and
      Muddy Waters.

      New Orleans is also one of the few cities with a House of Blues. And Jimmy
      Buffet’s Margharitaville Café chain has a local franchise that is still an
      attraction. New Orleans’s trademark sounds are Cajun and Zydeco. So far
      none of the listed benefits have named an act that plays that kind of
      music
      Others who are missing:
      Clarence "Frogman" Henry
      Dr. John
      Lazy Lester
      Jay Chevalier
    • Lou Jimenez
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
        Bill,
        While I'm not what you'd call a religious person, I do feel we should think (pray, meditate, whatever) for those poor folk in New Orleans (which I've always considered to be one of my very favorite American cities). This will certainly give a macabre new twist to "Katrina and the Waves"...how sad! I'm not very political either, but I did receive an interesting email from Michael Moore (the film director) regarding his take on that (and other) disasters. If any of you
        care to check it out, look into his page. Food for thought...
        Lou

        Thursday, September 01, 2005
        By Roger Friedman

        Missing Musicians

        Before NBC, MTV, or anyone else puts on a telethon to help victims of
        Hurricane Katrina, they might want to explore some ancillary issues. To
        wit: New Orleans is a city famous for its famous musicians, but many of
        them are missing. Missing with a capital M.

        To begin with, one of the city’s most important legends, Antoine “Fats Elt;BR>Domino, has not been heard from since Monday afternoon. Domino’s
        rollicking boogie-woogie piano and deep soul voice are not only part of
        the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame but responsible for dozens of hits like
        “Blue Monday, E“Ain’t That a Shame, E“Blueberry Hill Eand “I’m Walking
        (Yes, Indeed, I’m Talking). Elt;BR>
        Domino, 76, lives with his wife Rosemary and daughter in a three story
        pink-roofed house in New Orleans E9th ward, which is now underwater. On
        Monday afternoon, Domino told his manager, Al Embry of Nashville, that he
        would “ride out the storm Eat home. Embry is now frantic.

        Calls have been made to Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco’s office and to
        various police officials and though there’s lots of sympathetic response,
        the whereabouts of Domino and his family remain a mystery.

        In the meantime, another important Louisiana musician who probably hasn’t
        been asked to be in any telethons is the also legendary Allen Toussaint.
        Another Rock Hall member, Toussaint wrote Patti Labelle’s hit “Lady
        Marmalade Eand Dr. John’s “Right Place, Wrong Time. EHis arrangements and
        orchestrations for hundreds of hit records, including his own
        instrumentals “Whipped Cream Eand “Java Eare American staples. (He also
        arranged Paul Simon’s hit, “Kodachrome. E

        Last night, Toussaint was one of the 25,000 people holed up at the New
        Orleans Superdome hoping to get on a bus for Houston’s Astrodome. I know
        this because he got a message out to his daughter, who relayed to it
        through friends.

        Also not heard from by friends through last night: New Orleans’s “Queen of
        Soul, EIrma Thomas, who was the original singer of what became the Rolling
        Stones Ehit, “Time is On My Side. Elt;BR>
        Let’s hope and pray it is, because while the Stones roll through the U.S.
        on their $450-a-ticket tour, Thomas is missing in action. Her club, The
        Lion’s Den is underwater, as are all the famous music hot spots of the
        city.

        Similarly, friends are looking for Antoinette K-Doe, widow of New Orleans
        wild performer Ernie K-Doe. The Does have a famous nightspot of their own
        on N. Claiborne Avenue, called the Mother-in-Law Lounge, in honor of
        Ernie’s immortal hit, “The Mother-in-Law Song. EErnie K-Doe, who received
        a 1998 Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, died in 2001 at
        age 65.

        Dry and safe, but in not much better shape, is the famous Neville family
        of New Orleans. Aaron Neville and many members of the family evacuated on
        Monday to Memphis, where they are now staying in a hotel. But most of the
        Nevilles Ehomes are destroyed, reports their niece and my colleague at “A
        Current Affair, EArthel Neville. She went down to her hometown yesterday
        and called me from a boat that was trying to get near town.

        “This isn’t like having two feet of water in your basement, Eshe said,
[...]

      • Dawayne Bailey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, Lou Jimenez
          <jmnz_l@y...> wrote:This will certainly give a macabre new twist
          to "Katrina and the Waves"...how sad!

          For some really useless trivia, Katrina was born in Topeka, Kansas:

          http://www.katrinasweb.com/biog.htm

          http://www.katw.com
        • Cliff Sperry