Re: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Digest Number 509

  • Acceptable Graphics
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      "Gary Durrett" <gdurt@...> writes:
      > Subject: Re: David 1, Goliath 0
      (snip)

      > Greg - where did you find this info? I've scoured
      > the web & can't find
      > it anywhere.
      >
      > Durt
      =====================
      I joined the Moby Grape Yahoo discussion group the
      weekend Skip Spence passed away in April 1999, three
      days short of his 53rd birthday.

      The original website is still closed down but you can
      find the two MG groups in Yahoo groups. They had to
      spin off a second group because some members were
      posting a lot of infantile chat-room nonsense, which
      now seems to be under control.

      When the site's back up you'll find the new 26-page
      court decision as well as the whole sordid history,
      discography, lyrics, and all that fansite stuff. Also
      some very interesting interviews with Peter Lewis.
      He's a hell of a story teller.

      (Also a hell of a guitarist, but when I asked him why
      he's never played with his cousin, David Lindley, it
      turns out he's too much in awe of David's talent!)

      Gregor

      http://www.geocities.com/treplovski/

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • danny fleming
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        One thing about the Grape...I never really witnessed a Kansas band playing any Moby Grape cover tunes.  Granted, some songs would have to have (3) guitarists to match all the parts, but what a song list to pass up.  Anybody, remember what bands might have played some Grape and if so what songs they covered???

        My band the Holy Mushrooms covered "Naked If I Want To".   I remember the first wedding dance we played (probably 1967) when all bands were announcing what song was up next and who it was by...well, this was about the only slow song we played, so I immediately dedicated it to the bride and groom.  So, I said "here's a slow song for the newly married couple called Naked If I Want To"...about the time the last word came out I realized what I had said and so I tried to excuse the pun and clear things by saying the first line in the song was the title instead,...well... "Would You Let Me" for the title brought about the same reaction.  I turned red in the face and just wanted to crawl in a hole.  Hey, I was just a niave teenager...how was I to know that same year Frank Zappa would be saying fu#k on stage??

        dano          http://members.cox.net/midwestshowtime/amberwaves.htm

        =====================
[...]

        Kansas cityHistoryRock and roll

        Yahoo! Sports

      • Fast, Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005

          I saw the Blue Things do a rip-up job of “Omaha”, “Hey Grandma” and maybe some other MG tunes one night at the Municipal Auditorium in Topeka.  We used to close every night with either “805”, “Naked If I Want To” or the Doors’ “Soul Kitchen”.  Moby Grape remains one of my all time favorite guitar bands, no doubt.

                      bill fast

          One thing about the Grape...I never really witnessed a Kansas band playing any Moby Grape cover tunes.  Granted, some songs would have to have (3) guitarists to match all the parts, but what a song list to pass up.  Anybody, remember what bands might have played some Grape and if so what songs they covered???

        • Gary Durrett
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
            Thanks for the info, Greg. The Grape had nearly as much influence on
            my musical tutelage as the Beatles.
            I actually wrote Bob Mosley after his post-Grape short stint in the
            Marine Corps and got a very nice hand written response.
            Some 25 years later when I'd heard about his horrible life as a
            schitzophrenic, I discovered an e-mail address someone had set up for
            him. I wrote and reminded him of the letter & thanked him for his
            kindness to an 18 year old dufus from Kansas City, and once again got
            a wonderful note back.
            There will be a particularly warm spot in hell for the likes of
            Matthew Katz. Think how the lives of Spence and Mosely could have
            been eased without his cold-blooded campaign to steal every last dime
            from them.
            I'm glad the court ruled in favor of the band, but I fear it's way
            too little way too late.